Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About to reinstall motor and tranny. Which method do you all prefer w the tranny/engine attached or installed separate? It is a 1.6 auto 4wd. Also would it be an option to do the motor and tranny together w the transfer case off. Then hook TC back up? Just wanted your opinions.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Sorry I'm not sure when you are fortunate enough to have the right facilities available. I've done 2 FWD engines in my off-level dirt driveway but never done a RWD engine or trans. If I had to do it here I'd do it in pieces but with a good shop it might be easier to do all at once.

I guess one thing to think about, it always CAN be done in pieces. But without knowing beforehand, there's a chance it might not be able to done all at once, and there's the chance of damaging something when trying to handle too much at once. Trying to clear things under the hood with a trans and transfer case swinging around under the vehicle, makes you need more help. That is if the engine lift points are even designed to handle that extra overhung load, probably ok but I don't know. But I'm just used to having to do everything alone. Also if it happens you have to remove more things to make the extra room to get it in all at once, you may not really gain anything.

For example on mine (FWD GM car) I was told it would be easier to just pluck the engine and trans at once to do the engine only swap and separate them outside. So I spent extra time pulling balljoints, wheels, axles, mounts, a very stuck shift cable... then the booster and master cylinder ended up being in the way anyway. So I put it all back together and was so much easier and not that hard really to access the torque converter bolts in place. For one of the trans to engine bolts I had to put together over 2 feet of socket extensions but I did it.

So I guess my opinion without having done it - you could spend the time contemplating if it can be done in one piece. Or you could spend the time knowing you can do it in pieces and putting the pieces together. Since I don't know, I'd rather be putting the pieces together.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Where is the install going to happen?

If you have a nicely equipped shop, with lots of room, I'd install it as a single unit. If you are working in a tight space, or with a barely adequate lift, I'd install engine/trans separately. I do not think separating the transfer case for the install would be a good idea.

I am also assuming both the transmission and engine are currently not in the car.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tictracker good points!! Mike I have plenty of room in my shop. I'm using a hydraulic lift (cherry picker in Ms language). I'm pretty sure that the engine tranny transfer as a unit would be too long. I was thinking maybe engine/tranny then transfer case. And yes engine and tranny are currently out. If I end up doing them separate would you advise doing the engine first then the tranny or vice versa?

·
Registered
158 Posts
If you do them separate, I think I'd do the engine last. A cherry picker with a tilt adjuster on a chain would give lots more leeway to get the trans mount perfectly lined up. When you get the angle and height tweaked just right, you know it because it basically slides right into place with little effort.

With a trans jack you're supported from beneath with something more solid so I think adjustment might be trickier. However I've never had the luxury of using a trans jack on a concrete floor.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
I agree with TLC about if separate, install the transmission first.... unless you have a good transmission jack. (and then it would be a toss up.)

But if you put the front on jack stands and/or took a bit more off the front of the car (grille and header panel) you should be able to install it (engine/trans/xfer) as one unit..... in a well equipped shop as you seem to have. If you have AC in this rig.... it might not be worth pulling the condenser and fan.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.