Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2002 XL-7 5 speed Manual !

When I went offroading yesterday there came to a Steep decent..
When I needed the brakes to Lock... all they did was Pulse the ABS..

Like I push the pedal Hard and all that happened was the ABS activated..

The Pedal also pushes to the floor really easily.

So What could be causing the ABS to kick on under braking as I thought ABS didn't work below a certain speed.

Can the ABS be turned off for Offroad use ???

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No fluid leaking anywhere or bad pads or worn drums or Air in the lines.. Checked all that..
Would the vacuum booster be causing this problem ??

Off Road I need the brakes to lock... ABS is CRAP on gravel roads.. you don't stop...

·
Registered
156 Posts
abs on trackers sucks on deep snow to. i pulled abs fuse on my 96 tracker every winter. note: every once in a while the red brake light would come on. when it did i would plug abs fuse back in and started car and hit the brakes once. it would go out and i would remove the fuse again.

·
Super Moderator
18,191 Posts
There is no reason for properly functioning ABS to hamper off-road performance, IMO. :huh:

And the pedal to the floor is...either leaks or the Master inoperative.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am going to get the brakes looked at..See what the story is.. I just had someone else test the brakes and they said they felt normal there is pressue but the pedal shouldn't reach the floor....

·
Registered
156 Posts
make sure to have the rear brake adjustment. if they are loose the brake pedal will go low. how far up does your park brake go??? does the pedal stay up higher when the park brake is set??

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thats the one thing that works really well... the park break engages in 3 clicks and the pedal does go down a little

·
Registered
156 Posts
yeah i would say try it with pulling the fuse for abs. and make sure to have brakes checked. master cylinder can go bad and dump fluid into vac booster. may do nothing but fill it or it could shoot it into the intake and pew does it stink when that happens. give the brake a quick stab like an emergency stop. do the hold pedal and see if it slowly goes to the floor. does the pedal go down only when abs kicks in??

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Had the Brakes checked...They said they were fine..
So I had them checked by another place and they said they were fine as well.

Mind you... both the mechanics that checked the brakes had spindly legs so It could be ME putting too much pressure on the peddle..

·
Super Moderator
13,070 Posts
The Pedal also pushes to the floor really easily.
Regardless of how spindly the mechanics legs were and how strong you are - anytime you can push the pedal to the floor you have one (or more) of three possible problems - a leak in the system, air in system, or a defective master cylinder.

but the pedal shouldn't reach the floor....
You got that right.

So regardless of what the mechanics are telling you - if you can get that pedal to the floor - there IS a problem.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts