Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to install a oil pressure gauge. Has anyone put one on? Does a universal oil pressure gauge work OK? Also I found a 87' Sami in a bone yard today and got a few parts off it I didn't have like front mud flaps, the shelf that goes under the glove compartment and an antenna. I am going back for more later.

·
Super Moderator
12,440 Posts
Universal oil pressure gauges work fine - the challenge is getting them connected.

Most gauges are supplied with a 1/8" NPT adapter and Suzuki uses a 1/8" BSPT thread on their oil pressure sender, so an adapter is needed.

I would also suggest an electrical gauge rather than mechanical and that you use a T piece so that you can leave the low oil pressure switch connected - it's not a good idea to screw an adapter onto the block and then a T with the two senders into the adapter - the brass will fatigue & break because of the vibration, so you'll to mount the T & the senders somewhere rigid and connect it to the block with a flex.

Not the easiest of things to fit, but also not difficult - and in my opinion well worth it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Universal oil pressure gauges work fine - the challenge is getting them connected.

Most gauges are supplied with a 1/8" NPT adapter and Suzuki uses a 1/8" BSPT thread on their oil pressure sender, so an adapter is needed.

I would also suggest an electrical gauge rather than mechanical and that you use a T piece so that you can leave the low oil pressure switch connected - it's not a good idea to screw an adapter onto the block and then a T with the two senders into the adapter - the brass will fatigue & break because of the vibration, so you'll to mount the T & the senders somewhere rigid and connect it to the block with a flex.

Not the easiest of things to fit, but also not difficult - and in my opinion well worth it.
Thanks for the great info. I wonder if my local auto parts store will have the adapter you mention? If their was a drop in oil pressure or just low for some reason I sure would want to know it, so leaving the low oil pressure switch will make the light come on right?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Oil Pressure tap location on L20B

I have a 1986 Samurai in sorry shape with an L20B engine (Nissan) that I 'd like to put an electric oil pressure gauge in. Chris' suggestions on the taps and not using brass in the block are good ideas I hadn't considered.

My question on the L20B is where do I tap in for oil pressure? I'm looking to put in an electric coolant temp gauge also and can't figure out where to tap into for that either. I'm not much of a mechanic, although I do controls work for a living so I can manage the electrical / instrumentation part just fine. I'm just having trouble finding any info on the L20B and instrument connections.

A picture of your dash with the gauges would be nice. It sounds like what I plan to do.

Thanks, Paul

·
Super Moderator
12,440 Posts
It might be a good idea to ask on a Nissan forum, for Nissan related information - but the normal place to fit an oil pressure gauge sender is in the low oil pressure switch port - unless you happen to know of an existing threaded hole that goes into the main oil galley.

Another place to do it is off the oil filter - you can fit a "sandwich" that goes between the filter and the mount that has the tappings for oil pressure & temperature gauges.

Installing a coolant temperature gauges is much more challenging - ideally you want it in the water outlet elbow, which is usually where the thermostat is. You'll see some folk fit it in the radiator top hose, where it does a half decent job - once the thermostat has opened and allowed coolant to circulate - the problem is that if the thermostat doesn't open, the engine will self destruct without the gauge moving from cold.

The answer to your questions however should come from someone familiar with the Nissan L20B - which I am not.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Sorry, may not have been clear in what i ment. I have used a sandwhich plate inbetween the oil filter and engine block, i had to order the different size adaptor bolt as it didnt come with the kit. Simply get a universal temp/pressure reading 1/8th i think and plug in, or two for both. Really easy to do once you have the parts. Will get you that pic tomorrow ;)

Chris

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'll look into the sandwich idea. I tried a couple of Nissan forums last month. I had some views but no answers to questions so I tried this. You guys answered same day. I appreciate it. Thank you both.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Iv got oil pressure, oil temp and water temp on mine, mounted in the centre of the dash. Let me know if a pic would help you. I used a universal one from ebay and got this;

MOCAL - EXTENSION BOLT 3/4UNF - M-EB-3/4UNF

Hope this helps, Chris
Yes, a pic would be great! Now you mention it the water temp would be nice to if its not to much of a hassle. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
12,440 Posts
This is exactly the type of installation I cautioned against in my earlier post - the coolant temperature sensor here is downstream from the thermostat, and will indicate a cold engine during warm up, followed by a sudden temperature spike when the thermostat opens and allows coolant to circulate.

The real problem with it is that if the thermostat fails to open, the engine can overheat without any indication on the gauge.

The coolant temperature sensor really needs to be on the other side of the thermostat, somewhere in the head (or in this case, the intake manifold), or if the particular vehicle does not use a tap/valve in the heater circuit, a hose adapter of this type can be used in that loop.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I understand that, but it was more for a more accurate temperature gauge that the one on the dials. I didnt really want to go hacking at the intake manifold as i really didnt want to take it off as its the injection model and didnt want to go tempting fate with it haha. I agree with you but without tapping into it there is no easy way i can see. Would make more sense for the manufacturers to put the temp sensor before the thermostat -_-.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Nice pics! I like your gauge setup. I've got digital gauges I bought from JC Whitney. I hope they look decent and work well when I get them in. I took a good look at my engine last night and I think I'm in good shape for temp and oil pressure. There are two ports on the engine side of my thermostat I can use for temp take off. One is there already for the existing temp gauge on the instrument cluster. The oil pressure takeoff is near the oil filter - I think. I pulled it last night and will test it on the bench today with a pressure tester and meter.
Your pics helped, thanks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts