Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i am gonna wire my electric fuel pump to the samis oil pressure switch, how do i do this ???? Fuel pump ground to battery ground,fuel pump positive to oil pressure switch,, switch to positive on the battery? What about the wire for the oil pressuer gauge? Doe the switch need three prongs? So power from the pump, power to the battery and the third one to the oil pressure gauge??? Any help would be awesome.

·
Super Moderator
12,345 Posts
What you're trying to do, can't be done with a stock Samurai.

Having said that - tell us what you're driving, and what you're tring to do, and I'm pretty sure someone will tell you if it can be done, what it need to make it happen and for that matter if it needs to be done.

Here's my guess - you want to shut the fuel pump down if the engine dies - probably for safety reasons. If you're driving a Sami with EFI, Suzuki all ready took care of that, the fuel pump will shut off within three seconds of the engine stopping.

If you're not running EFI (88 Samis didn't), then you need to tell us what you're running - because 88 Samis also had mechanical fuel pumps that stopped when the engine did, so a fuel cut off was not required.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry bout that, i put a 1600 8v into my 88 sami with a weber carb and i got an electric fuel pump for delivery, so i wanna hook the pump up to the oil pressurre switch, i just not sure how to wire it.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Sorry bout that, i put a 1600 8v into my 88 sami with a weber carb and i got an electric fuel pump for delivery, so i wanna hook the pump up to the oil pressurre switch, i just not sure how to wire it.
You do know that you would have no oil pressure when you turn the key to the run position, so it would take some complicated wiring to achieve what you want without a computer.

As Boxcar asked, what kind of situation would cause you to not have any oil pressure or lower than 5 psi for a long period of time?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i was just told that if i hooked the electris fuel pump to the oil pressure switch it would be more of a safety thing so in the event of a crash the pump will shut down, so the pump would only run while the engine is running. does anyone know how or what i am talking about?

·
Super Moderator
12,345 Posts
Boxcar - it's done for safety, if there is an accident and the engine stops, the fuel pump shuts off - it also prevents "in-tank" fuel pumps from burning up if the ignition is not switched off when the vehicle runs out of fuel.

Zuk4life - Suzuki handles this in the EFI electronics on EFI cars, and via the alternator wiring on carbureted engines with electric fuel pumps - there's a diode to power the pump from the starter circuit when the engine is being cranked and once the engine starts the alternator powers the pump - in either case if the engine stops, power to the pump is shut off.

The stock oil pressure switch cannot do this, you'll have to replace it with one that can, and you'll need to find one with a 1/8" BSPT thread - an inertia switch (as Haptown has suggested) is another way to shut the fuel pump down in an accident.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Or you can use a role over switch or inertial switch.
The problem I se with the oil pressure switch is: Hot starting the engine.
No fuel until oil pressure reaches 5 psi.
I get the safety reasoning . Just not the method of achieving it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, the oil pressure switch deal was in my 1.6 engine swap instructions that i got from rocky road outfitters, it all sounds kinda complicated.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts