Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Time for my second oil change since we bought our 87, all original with 90K miles. I'm a Quaker State diehard for our GM's and used 5W-30 when he got the Sammy. An old Diesel Mechanic buddy swares by Rotella-T for gasoline engles as well, withstands higher pressure, more Zinc, etc.

So what do ya'll run in tired old engines?

Ken T.

·
Super Moderator
12,347 Posts
10w40 - like the manufacturer recommends for the climate I'm in - and that by the way is a '93 1.3 with around 133k miles. I also use 10w40 in my '98 Grand Vitara - same reason - it's what the manufacturer recommends.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Rotella is an extremely robust oil and is probably the best value in oil available right now.

Rotella is designed to protect heavy duty diesel engines, and actually meets the JASO MA spec for motorcycles, which shows just how robust it is.

Quaker State does not have an oil that competes with it.

I would not run 5W30 in a 1300 Samurai engine except in winter.

You can run the Rotella 15W40 down to 0F in the winter and as hot as you can stand it in the summer. 5W30 and 10W30 should not be used above 86F, according to the FSM, but I would not run it above 70F, myself.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! We ran the hell out of the Sammy in our Blizzard of 09! And it will be 110 sometime this summer so I think I'll go with the Rotella 15W40 as it will be changed on 6 month intervals instead of mileage.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I second the use of any 15-40 diesel oil.

These oils still have full the anti-wear additives that were removed from gasoline engine oils a while back, and that protect non roller-cam valve trains.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I was searching for a recommended motor oil and found this old thread. Glad to find it as I've been running.... Rotella 15-40! Will just stay right there.

FWIW, I run the stuff in pretty much all our ranch vehicles from Ford F250 to Ford 8N.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts