Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
95 auto 4x4 geo tracker

Engine's out and on the stand. There was no oil pan gasket previously (just RTV), but it had leaks.

I was going to use a Fel Pro cork gasket this time.

Has anyone had good/bad experience with these? Also, when installing, should I use some black RTV on the mating surfaces?

Thanks
Jason

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
Just looked at my (I believe to be) original 95 Tracker engine (replaced with a JDM engine), on the engine stand, and it has orange RTV silicone, no oil pan gasket. Although Fel Pro makes good gaskets, I would contact Permatex and get their suggested sealant and application instructions. Good luck

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
Whatever way you go, just make sure both mating surfaces are clean and flat.

·
Administrator
16,304 Posts
Suzuki does not supply or use an oil pan gasket.

·
Super Moderator
25,548 Posts
x2. There is no oil pan gasket on this car, just sealant.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
It is correct that Suzuki did not use a oil pan gasket from the factory. But with used parts, you might get a better seal using a gasket with RTV.

Any time you use RTV, with or without a gasket, snug down the pan (or other part) to about 1/4 the required end torque. (This spreads the RTV to a thin even layer, but doesn't squeeze it out.) After letting the RTV cure, torque to the final tightness.

A note for owners of TracKicks with OBD2 (mostly 1996 and up): Use of a gasket has been linked to early failure of crank sensors.. just use RTV only.

·
Super Moderator
19,084 Posts
early failure of crank sensors
Did you mean O2 sensors? ;)

Even then, most RTV's are "sensor safe" these days, if noted on the package.

·
Administrator
16,304 Posts
Early failure of crank sensors, or crank sensors failing to read the trigger wheel because they are too far away?

Personally I don't see why/how the presence or absence of a gasket would cause a magnetic reluctor pickup to fail, but, if it's mounted with too large an air gap between the pickup and the trigger wheel, it will either misread, or not read at all - removal of the gasket should solve the problem.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
No... Crank sensor.

I think it has something to do with additional vibration from the pan/gasket and the location of the crank sensor mounted in the front of the oil pump... in a notch in the oil pan, The notch was added to the pan in 1996 to provide clearance for the crank sensor needed for OBD2.

·
Super Moderator
19,084 Posts
Then he IS talking crank sensor. :huh:

I'd like to hear more on this failure subject then.

Edit: Posting at the same time.

·
Super Moderator
25,548 Posts
How does this sound: the crank sensor has a defined space between the sensor and the reluctor, and if there is too much space, as would happen with a gasket, it will affect the spark in a similar way that would happen if the crank sensor was going bad. Basically, the sensor no longer picks up the signal as it is too far away.

·
Super Moderator
19,084 Posts
10-4! :)

Curious..will a lack of crank angle sensing cause this engine to not start? :huh:

I ask this as the H25 and H27 will start, as the CAS only triggers the ECU for code output purposes.

·
Super Moderator
25,548 Posts
To continue with my mumbo jumbo logic, I think it would prevent the car from starting as the computer wouldn't think that the engine was turning over - so it wouldn't be sending spark.

·
Super Moderator
19,084 Posts
That's how some other make / models that I'm familiar with work. Nissan V-6 in particular. :)

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
11,250 Posts
That's how some other make / models that I'm familiar with work. Nissan V-6 in particular. :)
My Ford 4.0L, also works that way.... Had trouble (intermittent no start) for yrs until I found a dirty connector, cleaned and filled with dialectic grease, no issue since (5yrs).
This was a common complain with the rescue trucks after fording..:eek:

.... Philip

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
The effect of a bad crank sensor depends on if it is used as a crank POSITION sensor or a crank ANGLE sensor. Angle sensors are used for misfire detection and will not stop and engine from starting, they just throw a code.

I KNOW the sensor on the crank of the J18 works as an angle sensor. Not sure of the G16 (w/OBD2). While the books call it a Crankshaft Position Sensor or "CKP". But I am fairly sure it uses the CAMSHAFT position (CMP) sensor for ignition timing, not the crank sensor.

Anyway:
Believe me or not. It is up to you. If you have a G16 with OBD2 and want to use a gasket... (and you can find one)... go for it. Your car, your money..... your problem! ;)

Advice from the Internet might be worth less than you give for it. It is up to you to make the call on the value.

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
11,250 Posts
RTV may not stem the oil leaks, the factory uses a Urethane Adhesive, (similar to Windshield adhesive)...with a primer coat first...

.... Philip

·
Administrator
16,304 Posts
I dunno - Permatex UltraGrey seems to work for me - three+ years, over 40,000 miles, no sign of a leak.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts