Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a project in the works. Yesterday I got the car on ramps to replace the 4x4 switch and while there noticed a small spot of oil oil on floor.
Two things, first the leak, this is a freshly rebuilt engine (not by me) that has just some break-in running time nothing more as I am addressing smaller electrical
issues.....the second issue is a ""cork"" oil pan gasket which I never even noticed. Supposed to be RTV. Leak is near the rear 2 passenger side bolts.
In my mind it`s only going to get worse as time moves on.
I have searched this problem here and have not been able to find a complete answer to replacement of oil pan and RTV.
Question is: Can the oil pan be removed by simply lifting the frontend via the front bumper braces to allow the axle/differential to drop a few inches to remove the oil pan or is this going to require further disassembly in order to do it correctly and or easily. Right now I`m not a happy camper as this should not have had a gasket in the first place.
1987 Samurai (USA) 1.3 liter 5spd 4x4
Thanks DN

·
Registered
7 Posts
Not sure what other people recommend, I'm a beginner in working with cars, but that's how I did it as well. Lifted the car a bit and I could get the pan out that way, but it's not super straightforward. You'll have to fiddle a bit with it. I made a few test tries to get used to put it back as smooth as possible to not mess up the RTV.

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. I managed to get oil pan out. I`m sure others have done so, but this was a first for me with engine in car. Up on ramps I jacked the axle up via the spring hangers until the wheel was off the ramp, then put jack stands under the bumper tube at the front of the frame. The axle was allowed to hang free (with tires on) dropping it somewhat more than I thought it would. Since the oil pump was removed and oil pan bolts also removed I went to the back of the vehicle to get some tools. The oil pan gasket seal had been broken free by then. While at the rear of the vehicle I heard a clatter and thump. I looked all over and could not see what had caused the noise only to find the oil pan laying on the ground, no wiggling or banging-just fell right off.

Now as for installing it back on and not screwing up the RTV bead. I looked and thought about it for a little while and came up with this, again I`m sure someone already knows this. I removed the 2 studs from the oil pump and threaded them into the rear corners of the oil pan mounting surface. Put the RTV on and let it set up. Then with one hand lined up and started the pan on the oil pump studs and the other hand guided the rear studs through the oil pan. Once on, I held the pan in place and used a nut driver to install the remaining bolts finger tight. Then removed the 2 rear studs and replaced them with the remaining 2 bolts. Then torqued all oil pan bolts. Not one smear of RTV anywhere. Nice even bead all the way around. Let it sit over night and then allowed it to run a little. So far-so good.

I sure didn`t expect the oil pan to just fall off. No header removal-no drive shaft removal-no wiggling around.
Thanks to all....Oh, sorry for the bold print, age has not been good on the eyes.
Ride on !

1 - 3 of 3 Posts