Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,
I'm new to the 4x4 world so bare with me, actually I'm new to posting on forums but I love the way the community communicates all the info necessary to keep these relics going.
I just picked up a 87 sammy about 3 weeks ago and I love it. It was in pretty good shape with only 39K miles and most of that was being towed behind a motor home. It's completly stock and I haven't made any changes...yet. It's getting 27 mpg which is awesome. Most of the repairs have been due to old age ( I can relate to that).
I just took it to the mud the other day with my 11 year old daughter and everything went welll until I tried to take it out of 4 wheel drive. It got stuck in nutrual and had to tow it home. I came to this forum and found out how to fix it and I'm back on the road again. THANKS. Is there something I'm doing wrong when taking it out of 4 wheel drive?
Now to my other problem, when I was underneth I noticed a good amount of oil that looked like it was coming from where the drive shaft goes into the tranny. Is there an easy fix to this or am I looking at pulling the tranny?

·
Registered
193 Posts
The Samurai has THREE driveshafts: front rear and intermediate. The intermediate driveshaft, just over a foot long, connects the transmission to the Transfer Case; it's up inside and harder to see. It has splines at the transmission, and one flange at the rear. Front and rear driveshafts connect the Transfer Case to the differentials and are flanged at both ends. Note that early (pre-'88.5) vehicles had smaller (8mm) flange bolts. Later Samurais use both 10mm bolts and a larger flange/bolt pattern. These are somewhat special high-strength bolts (and nuts). The numeral "7" on the head indicates high strength -- equivalent to US Grade 8 (metric Class 10.9).

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
verify that it's leaking out the Transmission and not just running off the transmission from a leak higher up. If it's leaking gear oil, then its your transmission. If it's motor oil, you most likely have a leak at the "O" ring seal on the distributor. (very common leak) If your oil seal is leaking on the transmission, then you need to pull the tranny out to replace it.

As for shifting in and out of 4wd, Just make sure your hubs are locked and your vehicle is stopped. It doesn't shift on the fly. You can jam it in and out of 4wd if you are going really slow, but it's really bad for the gears since it doesn't have T-case synchros.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea I forgot I'm dealing with a 4 wheel drive. The leak is coming from the drive shaft coming from the rear of the tranny. The other end is connected to the t-case. I didn't know if you could remove the drive shaft and replace the seal without pulling the tranny, and if you can't, then is their a site somewhere that can give some detail on pulling the tranny.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I think if you search for it, there was a topic a couple months ago on dropping the transmission and replacing the rear oil seal.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts