Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1995 Suzuki Sidekick JX 4Dr
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1995 Suzuki JX 4Dr Auto.

Does anybody have a idea where this oil could be coming from. It is pooling right next to Thermostat housing and I can’t tell where it’s coming from. I was thinking possibly valve cover but it seems like it would run down side of head rather than pool where it does. Any ideas?

·
Registered
560 Posts
1995 Suzuki JX 4Dr Auto.

Does anybody have a idea where this oil could be coming from. It is pooling right next to Thermostat housing and I can’t tell where it’s coming from. I was thinking possibly valve cover but it seems like it would run down side of head rather than pool where it does. Any ideas?
View attachment 99254 View attachment 99255
That may not be oil! Believe it or not, some antifreeze will actually look like that when it seeps out, even feels "oily" ( I guess due to the w. pump lubricant & ethylene glycol that is added to it). Also, motor oil leaks tend to not be that nice and clean! As you say, valve cover leakage would first show up along the cover edges. Try snugging up all fasteners around that area, thermostat housing, hose clamps, etc.... snug NOT super tight, don't want to snap off any of them!.
FOLLOWING PROCEDURE IS DANGEROUS
I would take my finger tip and touch the "oil" and then touch my tongue... if it's sweet-tasting, it's antifreeze... DO NOT SWALLOW AND RINSE OUT YOUR MOUTH IMMEDIATELY, SEVERAL TIMES... ethylene glycol is deadly toxic!!!! That's what I have done in past (still alive @72). DISCLAIMER - proceed at your own risk. I MEAN THAT SERIOUSLY

·
Registered
560 Posts
That may not be oil! Believe it or not, some antifreeze will actually look like that when it seeps out, even feels "oily" ( I guess due to the w. pump lubricant & ethylene glycol that is added to it). Also, motor oil leaks tend to not be that nice and clean! As you say, valve cover leakage would first show up along the cover edges. Try snugging up all fasteners around that area, thermo. hosing, hose clamps, etc.... snug not SUPER tight, don't want to snap off any of them!.
FOLLOWING PROCEDURE IS DANGEROUS
I would take my finger tip and touch the "oil" and then touch my tongue... if it's sweet-tasting, it's antifreeze... DO NOT SWALLOW AND RINSE OUT YOUR MOUTH IMMEDIATELY, SEVERAL TIMES... ethylene glycol is deadly toxic!!!! That's what I have done in past (still alive @72). DISCLAIMER - proceed at your own risk. I MEAN THAT SERIOUSLY
TO MODERATORS.... if you feel this is something that should NOT be posted...PLEASE EDIT OR DELETE!
No offense will be taken.... SAFETY FIRST IS NUMBER 1 RULE.!

·
Registered
9,466 Posts
its coolant....don't taste it, its poisonous

looks like thermostat gasket is leaking

Reactions: Bex

·
Registered
560 Posts
its coolant....don't taste it, its poisonous

looks like thermostat gasket is leaking
Like I said.... DEADLY TOXIC.... if you drink, swallow or gulp!
My suggestion usually gets folks scared which, I guess, is a good thing!
Some of us know how to do "stuff" without getting into trouble... definitely not recommended for everyone.
Ever heard of "carbon tetrachloride"? One of the best cleaning solvents for certain automotive components, yet also DEADLY TOXIC. Have experience and stories about that, too!

·
Registered
598 Posts
Don't taste it.. good grief. Just smell it. Antifreeze and oil smell nothing alike.

I also think it's prob just the therm housing seeping. Mine did that for years , even after putting new gasket/oring (Can't recall what mine takes.) I finlay used some gasket sealer . No more seeping since I used the sealer along with the gasket/oring

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys I’m going to replace thermostat gasket and see if that fixes problem. Anyone know if it takes gasket and O-ring or just gasket?

·
Registered
9,466 Posts
Thanks guys I’m going to replace thermostat gasket and see if that fixes problem. Anyone know if it takes gasket and O-ring or just gasket?
pull it apart and find out, theres both types out there depending on year and model market and engine.
You need to tell us what model and engine, a "JX 4 Dr auto" is a trim level, and doesn't even tell us if its a vitara, tracker, SX4 or swift etc.

Reactions: DL1

·
Registered
560 Posts
Don't taste it.. good grief. Just smell it. Antifreeze and oil smell nothing alike.

I also think it's prob just the therm housing seeping. Mine did that for years , even after putting new gasket/oring (Can't recall what mine takes.) I finlay used some gasket sealer . No more seeping since I used the sealer along with the gasket/oring
Unless you have a Pinochio-type nose, it's pretty hard to get in there close enough to smell it. Even then, unless the stuff is really hot, you're NOT GONNA BE ABLE TO SMELL IT! Of course, my old nose may not be as good as it looks!
Let's start 2021 with a smile...good grief:):cool:(y)

·
Super Moderator
25,129 Posts
On your 95 thermostat housing, there should NOT be any gasket. Your housing has a 4mm well in it, and the thermostat you should be using should have a 5mm rubber gasket on its perimeter. Like this:

When put on, it looks like this:

No paper gasket. The only time a paper gasket is used is in the 89/90, where the thermostat well is very shallow.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Bex, I ordered the part from RockAuto. I’ll dive into it once I have part in hand. Appreciate your help.

·
Registered
9,466 Posts
make sure the cavity the gasket sits in is clean, use a screwdriver held vertically and flat (you will see what I mean) to clean the groove. A bit of non setting sealant like Hylomar Blue or similar is also advisable if there is any concern over the condition of the sealing surfaces.
Cleaning the thermosta housing cover is also advised, I ape a sheet of 800 grit we and drt paper to a flat surface and "figure 8" it on that to clean and make sure its flat.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts