Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Oil Leak from Oil Dipstick Tube or Where?

Hi everyone. I am trying to locate an oil leak in my 2000 GV 2.5L Automatic 4x4. I recently did an oil change less than a month ago and yesterday I checked my oil and the oil dipstick was completely dry except the very tip. I did see oil drips and saw a bunch of oil blow-back under the GV. I looked around the oil filter and made sure it wasn't loose, i didn't find much oil residue in this area so i kept looking around. I ended up seeing 2 fresh oil streak lines coming from around/ near the base of the oil dipstick tube. I could not exactly see the base where it attaches to the oil pan because it seems to go in-between some other part. Is it possible that all my oil leaked out from the base of the oil dipstick tube? Or what other place in this area can spring a leak?

I am going to try and wash the underbody when the weather gets better in a few days to see if i can see what area my oil leak is at.

·
Super Moderator
18,422 Posts
Also check for leaks at the timing cover, valve covers, oil pressure sending unit and oil pan to block joint, once you get it cleaned up. ;)

Dipstick to block leaks are rare FWIW, although I have seen excessive blow-by force oil out the tops of them.

·
Super Moderator
13,733 Posts
There's an O'ring seal where the tube goes into the pan which can leak - I don't think it's common though.

The engine design on the V6 is a little unusual in that it has a two piece block, and a two piece oil pan, so that there are actually three horizontal surfaces down there that have to be sealed - clean thoroughly and watch closely - and hope that it's as simple as the O'ring - because anything else is an "engine-out" scenario.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey guys. I think the leak is coming from the oil sensor switch. There was oily sludge around it and there was a lot of oil coming from it. I just bought a new oil sensor switch but don't have the correct socket to remove and install. What size is it or is there a special tool?

·
Super Moderator
18,422 Posts
THAT is good news! :)

Not sure of the socket size, but with the new one in hand...check a buddy with "all the tools". ;)

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Kk thanks Max I'm going to ask my gf dad to let me borrow the right too since he's a ford mechanic. I just replaced my sway bar end links and sway bar bushings and that's how I saw where the oil was coming from since it dropped on my face

·
Super Moderator
13,733 Posts
There is a special tool, but it's essentially a "deep" socket - a 24mm (or 15/16") deep socket should work.

·
Super Moderator
18,422 Posts
Here's a good location / access shot of it.

Pink box behind A/C compressor bracket.

It's tight!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Max & Fordem! Finally bought new deep sockets that fit (the 15/16 size) and I'm about to put the new oil sender switch in a bit

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Hey guys, so I changed my oil sender pressure switch or whatever you call it and after a few weeks of driving it, i started to see oil spots on my driveway and I took a look at my engine and it seemed to still be leaking oil from somewhere on the driver side of the engine. The new oil sender pressure switch was slightly bigger than the original and i put thread sealant on it and tightened it as best as i could without breaking the thing. Now, im not a mechanic at all and more of a DIY person, do any of you suggest just putting in that lucas oil stop leak stuff and see if that stops my leak, or put high mileage oil into it since I have about 100,000 miles on the engine? I know that these suzukis tend to develop a "normal" oil leak, and I haven't really noticed a significant change in my oil level to really worry. I could see new oil spots whenever I park and I can smell oil burning when I am on the highway through my air vents. Any suggestions?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts