Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Coolant & Tranny Fluid Question

Ok, so now I know where the oil filter is.

Thanks suzuki pro...

A little history--my dealer went out of business last month so servicing will be on me now. :eek:

The dealership has serviced this car to-date.

I know my way around a car. BUT, have -NOT-touched this car since bought new.

Here are my questions:

My wife's '04 Verona just turned 30K, so it's time to change the coolant. Is there a petcock to drain the radiator, and if so, where is it located? And is there anything I need to do other than draining/re-filling the radiator, then selecting full heat during the purge process to insure proper bleeding of the system and re-filling the expansion tank after things cool down?

Also, I need to change the transmission fluid. Is this a -full- service with gasket & filter or is this a -drain & fill- via a drain plug?

Thanks-

·
Registered
170 Posts
the trans fluid is a drain & fill. you will need a special tool for the drain plug though. and its a special fluid.. check you manual for the service interval..the tool is a 8mm? square insert.. looks like a ratchet would fit, but its between 1/4 & 3/8" i know some people who haave made their own out if iron stock that is used for patio railing etc..
note: the fill plug is also on the side and uses the same tool. no dipstick! fill until it runs out the hole.

radiator has a drain right near the ac compressor. uses a silicate type fluid (check your manual) here's a picture of it

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Once again, thanks suzuki pro!

Today I got the oil & filter changed--19mm wrench on the drain plug and a pair of Mechanix gloves on the filter. No issues. It took a little over 7qts to fill the crankcase. I think the manual states 7.2qts so that's about right.

I also got the coolant drained & refilled. Thanks for the picture, I would have never found the drain without your help. I was looking for a wing-nut type of petcock, -not- a bolt!

I found the trans drain while I was under the car but didn't see the fill plug, so I didn't attempt to change the tranny fluid today. Is it on the front, side or rear of the case? I made my own tool to fit the drain plug. I used a bench grinder on a short 3/8" drive socket extension until it fit, so once I locate the fill hole I'm in business.

This car has some unusual aspects about it...

·
Registered
170 Posts
the fill hole is just under one of the axle shafts, cant remember which one right now, maybe this pic will help you find it.
**before you drain, make sure you crack the fill plug loose first!!**
ive been burned a once, drained the trans and found the fill plug stripped. also you need to have a way of getting the fluid in there, either a small pump or long hose from the top... im sure you'll figure that out no probs..

glad to help
alex

1 - 7 of 7 Posts