Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys, just got myself a suzuki carry. it came with 4x4, i was wondering if any of you guys venture into the offroaD department... might be cool to tag along.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hi! I also have a 4x4 dropside Carry, 5-spd, 12-valves, cateye. The front drive works fine but i only have 4-Hi and no low-range. I have these tall 13" tires with the aggressive treads, China-made. They're very noisy when driving on-road, seems to hummmm a lot but I like the looks tho. I really would like to test the offroad capability of this mini truck but don't have somebody to tag along in this type of adventure. Btw, I am from Bacolod.

I have an open-type rear differential which is not very good if you intend to drive on real 'dirt' roads. We have one member here, Mang Caloy, who just replaced his open-type with a Limited Slip Differential, which according to him improved traction. I'm still waiting for his reply regarding my inquiry on his newly installed LSD. I might consider replacing mine if ever I decide serious offroading.

Pls post some pics of your ride. Happy driving and welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
20 Posts
lance_pad said:
Hi! I also have a 4x4 dropside Carry, 5-spd, 12-valves, cateye. The front drive works fine but i only have 4-Hi and no low-range. I have these tall 13" tires with the aggressive treads, China-made. They're very noisy when driving on-road, seems to hummmm a lot but I like the looks tho. I really would like to test the offroad capability of this mini truck but don't have somebody to tag along in this type of adventure. Btw, I am from Bacolod.

I have an open-type rear differential which is not very good if you intend to drive on real 'dirt' roads. We have one member here, Mang Caloy, who just replaced his open-type with a Limited Slip Differential, which according to him improved traction. I'm still waiting for his reply regarding my inquiry on his newly installed LSD. I might consider replacing mine if ever I decide serious offroading.

I also have same suzuki as yours. yes it's really noisy on flat roads because the front CV drives doesn't have hub locks so all the time the joints are engaged creating mechanical power losses and noise.
I just removed the front joints temporarily since I don't need 4x4 here in our place. now my zuki is quiet and nice to drive

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
lance_pad said:

hi lance pad, im in the process of looking for nice/ agressive looking mudz, i think you are refering to the kargador tires. im actually planning to get those.

im from manila, we actually got this vehicle for trips around the house, anyways, to my surprise its so much fun to drive. with regards to the m/ts ussual road noise, im totally ok with that. konteng compromise for offroad performance. :)

·
Registered
69 Posts
So raptor30, the noise i'm hearing is mostly created by the CV joints? Are you also using the aggressive 'agro' tires? In case you need the front drive, would it be a do-it-yourself task or would it require a mechanic to reconnect the joints? Just curious... I drive mostly on paved roads but it's just nice to think that the front drive's in there...just in case, but if it would really offer a much improved driving experience, i might consider disconnecting mine.

·
Registered
20 Posts
lance_pad said:
So raptor30, the noise i'm hearing is mostly created by the CV joints? Are you also using the aggressive 'agro' tires? In case you need the front drive, would it be a do-it-yourself task or would it require a mechanic to reconnect the joints? Just curious... I drive mostly on paved roads but it's just nice to think that the front drive's in there...just in case, but if it would really offer a much improved driving experience, i might consider disconnecting mine.
in my suzuki's case, the noticeable noise came from the cv joints because it's engaged all the time unlike other 4x4s that has hub lock which releases the joints as you turn it off.
I'm using road tires so it would be noisier if I used kargador tires:(
it's not easy to remove or return back the joints if you don't have mechanical experience. one more, it's really dirty when you do work anything under chassis:)
my suzuki now is really fun driving, comfortable because the whirling noise is gone:)
just kept all the parts I removed in one place so in case I need to put it back again, would be easier.:)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Raptor, i'm totally convinced now not to disconnect my CV joints. hehe. Just last week as I was driving from a turn, up a slight incline going towards a paved road with the usual "hanggang diyan lang ang cemento". My rear tires slipped (might not have happened if the rear was loaded). Tried to scale it the second time but the tires were still slipping because probably of some sand on top of the lower cemented road. Thought it was time to use the front drive, and voila! Lo and behold!, got my mini truck up.

It's good that our front drive doesn't require us to lock the hubs. We would get real dirty if we're stuck on mud and have to leave the comforts of the driver's seat, just to lock the hubs.

·
Registered
114 Posts
disconnecting CV

hi raptor and lance,

i also drive a 4x4 carry pickup with the F5A engine and 4speed tranny. i didnt quite understand what needs to be removed. i do experience a lot of noise when doing highway speeds. but got this only after i changed my engine. i want to try doing what you're explaining. kindly send pictures for easier visualization.

i also experienced wheel slipping at the jollibee drive thru in libis. approached the ramp at an angle then the right rear wheel slipped. i engaged the 4H and yes, voila! i was able to buy my burgers na!

thanks guys in advance for any info on the CVs!!!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Just changed my tires to Kenda Kruiser 165/80R13 from the "Kargador" tires. I now have a smoother ride...no more noise coming from the tires. The tires were the culprit for the noisy ride, not the CV joints.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts