Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. Wondering if anyone uses the SX4 off road and what sort of tyres would be good. It's my first 4x4 and I know it's not a serious one, but here in Australia there are many tracks where you must have 4x4 to enter. Most likely many of them are easy going, but when heading out to explore I was thinking of having a second set of wheels & tyres more suitable for sand a& dirt.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just a case of seeing what is available locally in your size.
Better tread and stronger sidewalls will help.

You will probably need to look at the under body protection as vehicles here in the UK only have plastic guards which will stop dirt and small stones but are not strong enough for any kind of heavy duty off roading.

If it is just dirt roads and traction concerns, they will probably survive.
There are some good looking bits available for SX4's in America, but very little here.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
I'm in sunny Central Florida, where most of the back roads are all sand, with a few rocks thrown in by Mother Nature, just for fun.

One big problem on the SX4 is the rear differential. It's an aluminum casting and very easy to damage, so since I do love to go were others fear to tread, I got a Skid Plate for my rear differential. I also cut a nice round hole in the back of it, to facilitate easier differential oil changes.

With the addition of this Skid Plate, my delicate rear differential was protected.

I found that rather than buy expensive tires to go off-road, I just dropped my tire pressure, on all four tires, down to about 20psi and I could go places where Jeeps feared to tread. lol In the four years that I had my SX4, I never did get stuck.

Then, just In case I did need to be pulled or to pull someone else, I added these heavy duty Tow Hooks to the front of my SX4 and I had a trailer hitch on the back in place of the stock tow loop, which I broke off, pulling a big car out of a sand pit. :mad:

I have a friend who lives in Au and is a member of a 4x4 club that takes trips through the outback every year. From what I've seen of the pictures he's sent me, that's no place for a little SX4.

I had a lot of fun with my SX4, but had to unload her when Suzuki USA closed up shop.

I hope they are still open for business in the AU.

Cheers Mate!
Shadow :cool:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts