Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I use my Suzuki mostly for hunting and I'm therefore either going out in the dark or coming home in the dark. I'd like to have some more light than the stock headlights. What would be the best way to do this?

Front bumper mounted?

Overhead?

Door frame?

Increase stock headlights?

Any experience here appreciated.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
I like to have some high mounted lights because they enable you to see into the dips and holes that are normally in shadow with the stock headlights. My Vit lights are roof mounted and set back a little to prevent glare off the bonnet, they work well. On my SJ413K I have spot mounts on the roll bar but they are really too far back to be effective.

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
Don't forget a good set of LED's (waterproof) or cheap utility lights for underneath.
They make it easy for the spotter if you get into some rough stuff at night, or gives you some daytime to fix problems that suck the life out of the night time...
;)

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
they have HID kits for offroad use.. they're kinda spendy, but an HID in a reflector housing will basically turn everything around you into daylight. I have halogen lamps mounted on the front window frame. That way they're high enough to see over lower obstacles, close enough for me to manually adjust while driving (driver side anyway) and they don't get in the way when I want to strap stuff to my top. Other things to consider are if you go though a lot of brush or run up against the occasional rock, you don't want a light sticking out where it can be torn off or smashed.

That ground LED lighting sounds like a great Idea Bill, I guesse they aren't just for ground scraping pimptastic rides anymore.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm liking the idea of high lights to shine on dips and such. I'm going over pretty familiar territory most of the time, but I need to watch out for cattle, deer, antelope on the road.

Can you recommend a particular light bar?

Now, what about electricity? From using the Search function, it looks like I'll need to upgrade my alternator in order to run additional lights. Yeah?

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
Suzuki had a facory lightbar (aftermarket option) that mounted to the upper portions of the targa side panels.

But you may not have to go with a whole bar... Take a look at these brackets. You may be able to build your own. They mount directly to the windshield just above the glass using the stock screws that are already there for the windshield fold-down kit.

Here is a review article I wrote awhile back about two different styles of brackets.
Light Brackets

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
And here is another option from ZOR (Zuks Off Road)...

I like it because it has a stronger base and it can cover alot of area that usually gets rusted out.

It also has some mirror mounts built in so you can remove the doors without losing the mirrors.

Article:
Support Bra

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
But you may not have to go with a whole bar... Take a look at these brackets.
I like the lower bracket lights and I was going to order their ABS panels anyway, so maybe I'll just combine the order. As much as I like the high lights, your comment about the metal flexing tells me they might not work as well for me as my driving is pretty bumpy. I think I'd also like to be able to adjust the lights easily, too.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
in reply to your question about the alternator. It depends on what lights you run. Xenon HID's have a lower amp draw than the stock lighting. Halogen has a higher power draw. If you have other things that are sucking power then you may want a different alternator.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I use my Suzuki mostly for hunting and I'm therefore either going out in the dark or coming home in the dark. I'd like to have some more light than the stock headlights.
Hi,

You might also want to check the type of light you'll need for your use or whichever is more convenient for you. Be it beam type (spot lamps) or wide spread (fog) lamps.

Wide spread (fog) lamps tend to be shorter in range although due to the spread of light, gives better illumination against ruts and holes. Beam lights (and even headlights) makes ruts or holes "look" bigger and deeper.

As for placement, my own preference is up front above the bumper. Anything nearer will add to glare in case there is smoke or fog.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
193 Posts
I don't even have a stereo!
The OEM radio doesn't draw much; it's not a problem. The OEM Samurai alternator puts out 45A (50A, 1990 and later). Standard headlights are about 55/65 watts. Divide by 14 to get the current in Amps. Thus, 65W headlights (high beam) draw 9.3A per pair. 100W off-road lights draw just over 14.3 A per pair. That additional current taxes the alternator output at night, but you could be OK with one set of 100W lights if your battery is already fully charged and you're not just idling along a lot; at idle the alternator cannot put out anywhere near full current. Keep an eye on the battery voltage while running and if it falls below 14V, you're not charging properly. You might be able to more easily measure the battery voltage at the cigarette lighter outlet, but only if the voltage drop isn't too severe. [You'd want to check and compare the two readings under identical operating conditions. Samurai electric wiring is not real robust.]

This might also be a good time to consider a battery upgrade. The BCI group 25 battery fits and an AGM deep-discharge design will last longest through multiple discharges to get you home

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Nice thing about HIDs, the HIDs are brighter, and they use less power than the stock headlights where Halogens use more power than the stock units.

HIDs use 35 watts,
stock use 55 watts,
Halogen Use 100 watts

You won't need to upgrade your wiring and you won't need to use as many lights to get the same output. A 35w HID light puts out 3-4X the light that a 100w halogen puts out. They don't have a filament to break or burn out so they tend to be more impact resistant to rattles and vibration, they have a longer life than halogen bulbs, Down side is that they are expensive, and you need to use a ballast with HID bulbs.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
A 35w HID light puts out 3-4X the light that a 100w halogen puts out.
Interesting. I didn't know about these. Shopping around, I found this page, with this charming description of our beloved lil' trucks:

The Suzuki Samurai HID kit allows people to view clear on the road even at dense nights. The Suzuki Samurai has become the first preference of those who have to go on long drives at worse roads. Its engine is perfect to move on the worse road with ease and once you make a trial driving of this car, you can feel drastic changes.
HID Kit

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
The offroad HID's I was refering to are in reflector housings (use a parabolic mirror to reflect the light forward) the output is so intense and wide spread that it will blind anyone looking towards your vehicle.

A lot of HID kits are for projector lights which are designed to drop into a HID projector housing (has a lense that focuses the light into a beam) They can not be used in a reflector or a halogen projector housing to replace your current headlights. There is no HID projector housing on the market that I know of for the samurai. Without a proper Xenon projector housing, you can not focus the light from HIDs for an ON-road application. A lot of people sell cheap projector housings (designed for use with Halogens) so you can convert your stock lighting to HID. A halogen projector is not the same as a HID projector, and you will loose a lot of your light output due to a design that is not effective for HID Xenon bulbs. An appropriate on-road HID projector housing it costs about $500 and you would have to buy one that was made for a Hummer or a landcruiser and convert it to use on the samurai.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts