Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 87 model suzuki samurai for 2 years now
it came with a few modifications like a 1.5 body lift and mud tires
as of June this year i developed a steering problem which felt like the vehicle is waving almost side to side,even a strong breeze would make it feel not in control.
This feeling is amplified on wet roads,to the point where now i drive at about 40km in the rain for safety
From that time to now i have replaced my stock stabilizer bar with a heavy duty steering damper,replaced my steering ends
replaced my shackles.replaced both front kingpin bearings and seals and realigned my tires
The problem has lessened but still on wet roads at any speed with even a tilt of the wheel gives a sliding sensation
I use to be able to drive on wet roads without concern.I have gone to many different mechanics and spent alot of money in a short space of time and still no definitive solution
Some have even gone on to say that my vehicle drives great,but i knw how she use to drive and something is off.
Any suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
12,440 Posts
Has the suspension been modified in any way?
Were any changes made immediately prior to this problem developing?
What condition are the tires in, what type of tire and how old are they and what tire pressures are you running?

·
Registered
616 Posts
One of the problems that I see might be the body lift.

If it was done with flexible materials like rubber instead of steel or aluminum OR the body lift has worked it's way loose in any way, that might be the cause of your problem.

If you can cause the body to easily move sideways just by pushing on it, the body lift may be loose.

If, when you push down hard on any corner of the vehicle, the vehicle "bounces" more than once then you have worn shock absorbers.

Worn shocks in combination with the higher center of gravity the body lift creates could cause the sensation of swaying that you feel.

As fordem mentioned, tire presssure is an important factor. Low tire pressure allows the tires to flex more which can cause the swaying that you feel. Higher pressure - while making the overall ride rougher - makes the tires run firmer which reduces the "swaying" feeling.

I hope that this helps!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts