Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone :)

I'm having some issues with my newly purchased Suzuki carry 2000.

The engine management light keeps coming on, when plugging the OBD reader in it keeps coming up with a linking error message. There is power to the port as it turns on but cant get access to the information.

Has anyone else had this issue in the past?

Thanks
Dan

·
Registered
4,148 Posts
Hi everyone :)

I'm having some issues with my newly purchased Suzuki carry 2000.

The engine management light keeps coming on, when plugging the OBD reader in it keeps coming up with a linking error message. There is power to the port as it turns on but cant get access to the information.

Has anyone else had this issue in the past?

Thanks
Dan
try another OBD2 reader. See this a lot with the cheap ELM27 units and some of the more expensive ones too.

·
Super Moderator
12,090 Posts
What OBD reader are you using, and is it compatible with the vehicle?

Most of the commonly available readers are OBDII and the most common problem that causes "link errors" in trying to use them on non OBDII compliant vehicles.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What OBD reader are you using, and is it compatible with the vehicle?

Most of the commonly available readers are OBDII and the most common problem that causes "link errors" in trying to use them on non OBDII compliant vehicles.
This is the one that i tried;
https://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/p/tools/car-service-tools/diagnostic-tools/diagnostic/?553997350&0&t5_399&type=shopping&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIhoHwksDJ3gIVmvdRCh3Z7AxoEAQYASABEgLBxPD_BwE

I have also just been to a local garage and there higher quality version couldn't read it also. Came up with the same linking error message. What OBD reader do i need?

·
Registered
4,148 Posts
Ok, i did some digging,

Before 2006 its most likely that you'll have a Suzuki proprietary format. Models up to 2001 use a protocol called SDL and models after that use a protocol based on KWP2000 called SDLKWP.
The Suzuki tools all use SDLKWP as its much faster than OBD2/EOBD and allows access to extra data and controls.

I suspect that you'll find that it may connect as KWP2000 fast init post 2001 but you won't get any data because it is SDLKWP and not ISO 14230-4 which is a different subset of KWP2000, this will return a "link error", 2006 onwards should "talk" to most new scan tools using 14230-4 but will only return "basic" diagnostics as required by the OBDII standard.

You should be able to read fault codes using a jumper in the monitor coupler which is a six-pin diagnostic connector, I'm sorry but I don't know where that is located on the Carry.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, i did some digging,

Before 2006 its most likely that you'll have a Suzuki proprietary format. Models up to 2001 use a protocol called SDL and models after that use a protocol based on KWP2000 called SDLKWP.
The Suzuki tools all use SDLKWP as its much faster than OBD2/EOBD and allows access to extra data and controls.

I suspect that you'll find that it may connect as KWP2000 fast init post 2001 but you won't get any data because it is SDLKWP and not ISO 14230-4 which is a different subset of KWP2000, this will return a "link error", 2006 onwards should "talk" to most new scan tools using 14230-4 but will only return "basic" diagnostics as required by the OBDII standard.

You should be able to read fault codes using a jumper in the monitor coupler which is a six-pin diagnostic connector, I'm sorry but I don't know where that is located on the Carry.
Thank you so much for your help, does anyone know the location of the connector on the carry and also how to carry out this test? Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
4,148 Posts
page 6E-14,Thanks Darrell, I suspect this is the correct one.
and its one of "those" models, right on the cusp of the changeover to OBD2. I hate these ones as you will have to short the appropriate pins and read the flashes on the MIL lamp. At least these provide some decent codes to work from

As an aside, you say the light keeps coming on, does it come on, blink then go out? or on all the time? or on flashing then goes out and comes back later?

what is the van doing when the light is flashing? quite often these models indicated misfire like this and your problem could simply be a simple misfire occurring under load.

Can you provide us with additional symptoms of whats happening when the MIL lights up please.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
page 6E-14,Thanks Darrell, I suspect this is the correct one.
and its one of "those" models, right on the cusp of the changeover to OBD2. I hate these ones as you will have to short the appropriate pins and read the flashes on the MIL lamp. At least these provide some decent codes to work from

As an aside, you say the light keeps coming on, does it come on, blink then go out? or on all the time? or on flashing then goes out and comes back later?

what is the van doing when the light is flashing? quite often these models indicated misfire like this and your problem could simply be a simple misfire occurring under load.

Can you provide us with additional symptoms of whats happening when the MIL lights up please.
Thanks for the reply and sorry for the delayed response. The Light comes on and then stays on pretty much all of the time. The van runs fine when the light is on however.

Does anyone know the location of the 6 pin plug that i need to access in order to read the codes?

Thanks in advance.

Dan

1 - 11 of 11 Posts