Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't want to hijack zerez's thread but it reminded me of something about my transmission that I've never seen with other cars before. BillJohn linked to his instructions for rebuilding the transmission and I've bookmarked it for the future.

When the tranny is in neutral and the clutch is let out, the Zuki "tries" to go forward. It doesn't, but you can feel it trying. If the transfer case is in Neutral, the driveshaft from tranny to t-case spins with engine RPM even tho the tranny is in neutral too.

Before I did some carb adjustments, letting the clutch out in neutral would put enough load on the engine that when cold, it'd die. In neutral, it shouldn't put much load on the engine at all.

Is this normal? Or a problem 'on the horizon'?

Phil

·
Registered
94 Posts
I have the exact same problem and I have to leave my transfercase in neutral to let it warm up on these cold mornings.

Hopefully someone can help us!

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
It is normal for the driveshaft to spin when in neutral. Although the gear is not engaged, the friction on the mainshaft will still try to spin the gear. In a perfect world, the lube would let the shaft spin freely...

Check your tranny oil and see if you need to change it. If the seals are good, you might want to try a synthetic to free it up a bit.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks again PP. The number of brews I owe you is beginning to reach the point where you'll have to come on down to Paradise so I can square up!

That this affects (at least) you too means to me that it's a somewhat "normal" thing.

Phil

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It is normal for the driveshaft to spin when in neutral. Although the gear is not engaged, the friction on the mainshaft will still try to spin the gear. In a perfect world, the lube would let the shaft spin freely...

Check your tranny oil and see if you need to change it. If the seals are good, you might want to try a synthetic to free it up a bit.
Thanks (as always) to you too again Bill.

I first noticed this right after buying the Zuki. While I was trying to find that knock (another thread), I wanted to eliminate transmission noise so I checked the oil level then, found it over 2 qts low, and refilled with synthetic (the only lubricants I use).

I could see where gear lube had been spraying out the rear seal all over the undercarriage. For our intended uses, that's a non-problem.

Phil

1 - 6 of 6 Posts