Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I bought a Samurai this summer and it's been a great starter and not let me down, but now it's getting cold and wet in the mornings it isn't starting at all and I have to wait until at least midday when miraculously it starts!

Could anyone give me some tips please as to how I can prevent the damp or cold getting in and stopping the engine from starting.
The starter turns over and the battery isn't flat.

many thanks

Katy.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Check for moisture in the distributor cap. Replace the cap, rotor and wires, even the plugs, if you haven't done so. Make sure the cap seals air/water tight to the distributor. This should prevent ambient humidity from condensing in the cap creating the water issue inside the cap.

·
Registered
293 Posts
x2 on Daletec's advice.

When I was in college in Tennessee a long, long time ago, I had a '59 Triumph TR3. On the cold wet mornings that you speak of, I had to pull the distributor cap and plug wires and bring them inside to dry them out in the oven. Once dried and re-installed, the little tractor engine cranked right up. Replacing those items cleared finally cleared up the problem.

For extra protection (but probably unneeded), you could also apply Dielectric grease on all the new wire connections and around the base of the new cap.

·
Registered
3 Posts
If you really need to start your engine before midday you can spray the distributer cap, rotor,wires,spark plugs and ignition coil with some WD-40 or Plus gas and it sould fireup easely though this is onley a band aid fix, get your self a new set of wires and you can use some heat sink compound from radio shack or aney electronic hardware shop to seal up your distributer cap base and wires boots if you need to keep parts coast down, unlike grease the heat sink compound will not ooze out becase its stand higher tempreatures while still remain dielectric.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts