Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Samurai I acquired has been raped in many ways and to start it, it's now a switch with a button. Well it's been working fine since I got it and I moved it about 2-3 days ago to a different part on our driveway. Now, it won't even crank when I go to try to start it. The battery is fine and everything works in the samurai when I flip the switch (headlights, wipers, blower), but it won't effing start.

I am sorry if I sound aggravated, I just am such a frikkin newb and I know my cry for help is a long shot since someone rigged this all up and it's far from stock.

Any suggestions to help me track this down?

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Do you have a volt meter and are you familiar with how to use one? That particular tool would be really helpfull in tracking down the problem at this point.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Baractus, thanks for the response. :)

I do have one. Mildly familiar with using it...

The Samurai has literally been sitting there for 2 or 3 days. I am just baffled why it suddenly borked...

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
since I have no idea what you've tried yet, I'm going to say some things that may seem obviouse but I'm not going to any more assumptions than I have to.

1: Is there a click or any noise at all from the starter or relay?
2: Is the fuseable link in the ignition wire to the battery in tact?
3: Is there power to the aftermrket switch that was installed?
4: If there is, when you press the starter button does the hot wire going to the starter show votage? ho much?

·
Registered
192 Posts
When it would start, did you have to push in the clutch? (neutral start switch)
Could the plug have been knocked off?
(not sure how much your system is screwed...)

·
Registered
150 Posts
When I purchased my '88, at an auction, someone had changed it to a push button start system. Within a couple of weeks it quit working. I could still hear a slight click from the computer area. I put in a clicky starter kit and it cured the problem.

·
Registered
201 Posts
you FI or carb'd? my FI started having issues (still does have issues) similar to yours, it turned out to be the ignitor. a very odd thing for most vehicles, but the sami is different. currently in the process of fixing it, will let you know how it turns out.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
^ Mine is carbed.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone (to help out dis n0000b!). Turns out it was a faulty push button starter as I could touch those wires together and it starts fine. :\

Mine does have the sticky starter mod on it as well.

Since I have to replace the button, how hard is it to wire up a key ignition switch instead from the wires to the switch and button? Mine is missing the original ignition switch completely, but I could get a used one on eBay or something. I'm really not a fan of the push button mess unless it was like that from that factory. :)

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
you can just wire the ignition with the wires to the starter switch pretty easily. The wires for the accessory switch are probably already there by the old column switch taped together or something. If you go back to a column switch, keep in mind that you have a seperate key for your doors and glovebox and tail gate. I think someone mentioned that there were only 7 different keys made for the samurai, so you got a 1 in 7 chance of getting a matching ignition. Might even be able to have a locksmith reset the pins in it so that you can have one key for all the locks and the ignition.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nice, thanks Baratacus! I will check it out. :)

I don't think there's a single lock on it anymore, so not too worried about matching keys (yet). :p

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
In that case, buy a matching set while you're doing the ignition. Just pull all the locks off of the donor vehicle so they all match.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I looked up under the dash and found the little white module with the round plastic button that clips onto the ignition switch (what does that do?), but I looked at a pic of the ignition switch and it has two other plugs. What are all these for?

Lastly, I noticed a switch mounted up inside the dash kinda near where the stock ignition switch would be that I'm guessing isn't stock, but it's not part of the aftermarket ignition switch and button that I use to start it. Any out-there suggestions what it could be? Posting a pic...

·
Registered
192 Posts
that little switch is for turning off the little idiot light 'check engine' or what ever it is when you hit s predetermined amount of mileage. If I remember right, it's every 30,000 or 50,000 miles. It's so you take it to the dealer and pay them to reach under and flip it...
It's been discussed on this list before...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts