Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, my dad is a new XL7 owner as he has given up on BMW for reliability problems. Our issue is we are pulling codes for idle air control valve and misfires in cylinders 1, 3 and 5. He replaced spark plugs and coils to no avail. What would y’all recommend next?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
8,983 Posts
I would recommend start diagnosing instead of changing parts...

Get a live Data Scanner on it and monitor the B1S1, B2S1, and fuel trims at idle, 2000 and 3000rpm... report the findings..

BTW, this applies to all vehicle regardless of yr, type, or cylinders.. They are all internal combustion engines..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for all the info, I am not in town so I cannot confirm nor deny anything yet. Just wanted a base idea of what to look for

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update for those interested, I brought my trusty diagnostics tool and quite quickly identified the issue as a jumped timing chain. Likely going to chalk this up as a loss and get rid of it.

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
Update for those interested, I brought my trusty diagnostics tool and quite quickly identified the issue as a jumped timing chain. Likely going to chalk this up as a loss and get rid of it.
how? have you actually checked the timing marks or do you just have a "cam timing" mismatch code?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
how? have you actually checked the timing marks or do you just have a "cam timing" mismatch code?
I pulled it apart of the week and saw the timing, but do not feel like replacing the chains as it’s a little cramped with the transverse engine

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
If you have pulled it apart enough to see all the the timing marks then replacing the chains is easy. The timing marks are not visible on the left hand bank (#1 LH bank looking from the flywheel end of the engine) until you remove the timing cover fully from the front of the engine. If the RH bank is 1 tooth out, then this could account for the misfire and is easy to correct, 1 tooth one way and nothing hits, 1 tooth the wrong way from spec things will hit so someone may have already been there and got it wrong. Do a compression test and see if all cyls have compression and post what the results are.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you have pulled it apart enough to see all the the timing marks then replacing the chains is easy. The timing marks are not visible on the left hand bank (#1 LH bank looking from the flywheel end of the engine) until you remove the timing cover fully from the front of the engine. If the RH bank is 1 tooth out, then this could account for the misfire and is easy to correct, 1 tooth one way and nothing hits, 1 tooth the wrong way from spec things will hit so someone may have already been there and got it wrong. Do a compression test and see if all cyls have compression and post what the results are.
It’s my dads car not mine and I have numerous other projects back home, it’s just too tight a work space and I get no worth out of it. I’ll ask my dad if he wants to mess with it but I am wiping my hands of it.

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
so you haven't actually pulled it apart properly and checked the timing marks then?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts