Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I believe it's a weight too power ratio .. I find the 1.6 too not have enough power .with lift and 31''tires the 88.5 samie does not have enough too carry 5 th gear and maintain good 65miles an hr with 5and 6 '% grades on highway .
I have a large winch for it ,and power steering to go in yet .Around city would be fine > but if u are considering the conversion > research could save u alot of grief . I welcome discussion and comments ..

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Gearing is the key to performance.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Gearing is the key to performance.
+1
Gearing is vital. I have the same engine 16v and 35" tires, 4.10 gears and the 6.4 xfer. When I got the vehicle it had (I think) 4.3 xfer case gears and would barely move under it's own power. Just changing the xfer case to a 6.4 made a HUGE difference because the hi-range gearset is also different. It will never set you back in the seat and grades will never be your friend but it should at least be drivable. If I went to a 31" tire I would expect to see significant power gains.

I believe Acks FAQ has a gearing calculator, I played on that quite a bit before I decided on gears. It's time well spent.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts