Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Howdy everyone.

I am the proud owner of 1996 2d 4x4 manual transmission Geo Tracker that is in great shape and runs really well. I bought the car with a P0400 code, knowing I don’t have emissions testing where I am and it doesn’t affect how the car drives or MPG at all (from what I could tell)

Part of the reason I wanted this car was so I could learn a little about working on cars and I would love to give fixing this a shot.

I still am needing to do a little tune up including new spark plugs, wires, distributor etc knowing there is a tiny chance this could be it. (They’re all old)

Next things I plan on checking is for exhaust leaks, as I am getting a slight smell in the cabin at idle.
Any ideas on what to try next? Based on my scan I don’t think it’s an O2 sensor but I could be wrong.

I have attached all of the screen shots from my scan results as I am a very novice mechanic and this looks like scratch to me! Haha.

thank you all!

Font Gadget Screenshot Electronic device Multimedia

Font Screenshot Darkness Terrestrial plant Multimedia
Font Circle Pattern Number Darkness
Font Circle Pattern Number Darkness
Font Technology Circle Terrestrial plant Symmetry
Font Terrestrial plant Technology Darkness Circle
Font Terrestrial plant Screenshot Darkness Number
Font Terrestrial plant Screenshot Number Darkness

·
Registered
1997 Geo Tracker 2door, RWD, 3L30 auto.
56 Posts
Check your EGR valve and pipes. They often get gooped up inside with carbon and such. Clean it well. Get new gaskets as they are inexpensive and the old ones are likely shot. It's a pretty easy check.

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
11,093 Posts
Once you have sorted the EGR circuit, next check the exhaust for leaks as any pirate air will affect the CAT efficiency...

Use a shop vacuum and blow in the exhaust pipe (when cold), use soapy water to find leaks (bubbles. Alternately use a smoke machine..

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you so much for the advice! I did the shop vac test today and found two leaks at the connection right before the catalytic converter. Theres no rust anywhere so I think this will be a pretty quick plug and play Job. I imagine this should take care of the cat code!

I’ll also be checking out the EGR valve today.
Been having a blast learning on this. My father was a mechanic and I never took the time to learn when I was younger, was a big regret and it feels great to be learning now.

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
11,093 Posts
Always good to hear success..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts