Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm tired of working on this vehicle as I am NOT a mechanic... it's a mystery :rolleyes: ...

So, I am looking for someone in the Redding, CA or Eureka, CA area that knows his or her stuff that takes on work at a reasonable rate.

I have starting/throttle/fuel-air issues with my 1989 Geo Tracker 1.6L 8V 4x4.

New stuff:
newly rebuilt injector
new throttle positioning sensor
new Throttle Fuel Pressure Regulator
new throttle cable + new kickdown cable (both were frayed and a mess)

Problems:
1. random starting... sometimes won't start or rather starts, then floods out
2. If starts and runs... does just fine, especially now that cables are new
3. NEW PROBLEM NOTICED: While checking for gas on spark plugs, tried cranking with plugs out and fuel squirts out massively from the #2 cylinder (not sure if this is new behavior or not, never tried this technique before)

Has:

spark
fuel
no CEL codes returned other than 12 or 21 (not sure which it is, but I think 12)

This has been ongoing since last Dec, with random good/bad results in terms of starting and running... no smoke, good fuel mileage, good gettyup and go, even uphill.

Compression tested fine but that was before the gas squirting out cylinder being noticed. Previous looks at spark plugs when it acted flooded showed all 4 plugs being wet... now #2 squires and the plug is wet, but the others are dry.

I am at my wits end and live 2 1/2 -3 hours from the nearest major town (any town really) So... I am desperately looking for a nearish mechanic who is A) fully knowledgeable; B) has all the right tools and experience on Suzuki/Geo Sidetracks; C) will start AND FINISH the job; and D) is reasonable in pricing for labor.

Thank God for rockauto and trailtough for parts.

Anyone? :eek: :eek: please? :rolleyes:

pm me or text at 7074709781...

Donna

·
Registered
4,357 Posts
Donna, some will tell you that if you have a #12 code your ECM is okay, but it can be marginal. Have you pulled the ECM and looked at the capacitors to see if they are leaking or been replaced? If Rubyicon (sp?), they need replacement. It's basic maintenance on a Tracker of your year, as well as checking the crankshaft timing gear for wear (wallowing of keyway) due to improper torque.

·
Super Moderator
24,462 Posts
The codes mean that the ECU does not see any major faults (with sensors that it's hooked up to, and not mechanical things like fuel pressure, valve timing, etc.).
When you are looking at your codes, there should be a much longer pause between the code, so if you are getting a code 12, for example, the pause between the 2 (at the end of 12) and the 1 (at the beginning of the 12, as the code repeats) will be longer.
So, the first question would be, have you ever checked your fuel pressure?
While I don't know of any good mechanics in your area, be reminded that a good mechanic may not necessarily be a good 'diagnostician'. We have had many posts here from people where their mechanic has thrown a lot of parts at the car, in the attempt to fix it.
Regarding the crankshaft keyway, a rule of thumb is that if you check the torque on the center bolt, and it is torqued at 94 ft/lbs, then you should leave it alone. The keyway situation comes from people who mistakenly remove this bolt when doing their timing belt, and then don't torque it properly when replacing.
If you are getting frustrated, and have any friends who are good mechanics (on any car), then hopefully with the suggestions from the forum, you should be able to get your problem sorted.
I would start with fuel pressure, which should be 34-41psi, factory spec.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would start with fuel pressure, which should be 34-41psi, factory spec.
Yes, I know. I don't have the equipment. But thank you again for this... when I find someone with the equipment, that's what I will do first.

Here's my status:

Car will start and run IF it isn't cold... OR, if it isn't allowed to die right after starting (due to flooding)... until it warms up, then it will start everytime until it gets cold again (overnight, depending upon the temp).

I am getting the temp sensor regardless as it isn't expensive and I've decided to invest in new parts while they are still available... possibly getting parts that typically eventually fail...

Checking the ECM is far beyond any skills I have. I often DO have a fairly decent Chevy guy who has worked on his cars all his life to help me. That said, this is when he has time and also... I DO want to learn stuff. Some things I can figure out and do myself, like replacing the control arm or changing out the transmission filter and replacing the fluids (more complex than I thought it would be, but I got'er done... ew, why don't these tranny things have a drain plug?

More soon as the weather here as gone back to crappy with cold rain. I won't be working on the car this week. Again, thanks for every single awesome suggestion and tip!

Donna

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hello, I can check out your ecu and replace the capacitors and repair most trace damage from leaking caps. I like you am located in the sticks just out of Crescent City.
PM me for contact info.
Steve

1 - 5 of 5 Posts