Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So i purchased this 1992 tracker without seeing it since i was away for work (i know stupid) but i sent 2 of my friends (one is a licence auto body man and the other is a backyard mechanic) well when they went and saw it they told me that it was in good shape and that the only thing it needed was the rear floor pan fixed. Well come to find out yesterday that the frame is rotten in 2 places, it needs a whole new front end (ball joints,tie rods, swaybar links) , brakes all 4 , u joints and axles .Thing is i already spent 1400$ for a calmini lift kit and 800$ for tires. I was wondering if anyone had any luck welding this portion of the frame.

The outside is really clean and i would love to get it fixed, but i don't know if it will even pass inspection?

Second question is my friend told me that there might be something wrong with the front/rear gearing, he said they seem to not have the same gearing and make a gringing noise when mooving foward? Anybody ever had this problem?

Thanks

Kris

Here are some more pics:

·
Super Moderator
26,882 Posts
I've had my frame welded there - near rear suspension/wheel well, right? (and some other places, as well). Rust is an issue with these cars, and possibly you might not have bought it if you saw this. I have owned my car for 18 years now, and just keep repairing it. It's a great, dependable little truck that sadly has lived in the rust belt all its life. Everything is doable, of course, if you have the inclination to do so. The truck looks like it already has a lift on it, by the way, from the photos. Or else incredibly teeny weeny tires. Personally, I would have thrown my money into making sure the car ran well, tune up, maintenance, etc., before thinking about the lift and tires. But that's just me.....

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Well i didn't know about all the problems before i ordered the lift kit and stuff, yes it already has a lift on it but its just spacers and i wanted a proper suspension lift. Glade to know you've had success fixing it :)

·
Registered
332 Posts
Hi! That's a nice looking Tracker! Is it your primary source of transportation or a weekend toy? You can turn it into a project? Remove the body and really fix it right? Though I've never considerd how much work is involved in removing the body to access the frame, in your case it looks like something to consider to fix it for the long haul. But still looks nice!
I'd like to see your new wheels n tires;)
dne'

·
Registered
621 Posts
Wouldnt be terribly had to cut out the bad portion, cut some plates, weld them in and grind smooth.

If you did that and implement paint the frame...it would take a very very sharp eyed inspector to notice it at all.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Not a big deal to have the frame welded have it done right if this is a driver you will need it to pass inspection. There are lots of trackers and sidekicks on kijiji so you may find a parts car to rob frame pieces from or better yet use new metal. You want the repairs to be safe, I have had a couple in here that they put bondo and rockguard over the rust.

·
Registered
158 Posts
If for whatever reason welding is not acceptable to pass inspection (I don't know your area) or if you find more rot than you want to deal with, there are used frames for sale. Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market has several listed for $200-$300.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
The pictures do not say 9K to me. It COULD be worth it. (yah, right.) But the ad doesn't show it.

Nova Scotia. That would be 9K Canadian.... these days, isn't that more than 9k US?

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
so it is an 8K TracKick. Soooo much better deal. ;)

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Thanks for the 9000$ tracker but no thanks hehe, wouldn't it be easy to reverse the mileage on a tracker? I am getting my buddy to fix it all up for me, i have a really nice lincoln mig welder but i don't trust myself enough to be welding a frame just yet hehe, i have the following already purchased so it should be almost new once i'm done with it lol

Brakes pads, rotors, brake shoes, brake drums, 2 new cv axles, 2 new u joints, ball joints, inner/outer tie rods, swaybar links, strut mount and the calmini lift kit comes with new control arms, rear shocks/spring, front struts and spring

Long list but once everything is in i should hae a preaty solid tracker.

·
Super Moderator
26,882 Posts
Here is a nice one in Nova Scotia 60,000 km or 36,000 miles $9000 and they give you a thousand for your old one..
Nice long list under 'vehicle options'. They could have saved a lot of typing by saying 'pretty much stock'..... ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.