Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a used '08 SX4 several months ago. It's running great so far, but I haven't ben able to make a connection through OBD. My scanner has worked on every car I've tried, and I made sure it's still working with other cars. I don't have much experience with OBD so I am unsure where I should be focusing looking for bad wiring, etc. Thoughts, please?

·
Super Moderator
12,257 Posts
What happens when you try to connect, is there an error message, does the reader power on?

How old is your reader, what protocols does it support, were/are the cars it works on older or newer than the SX4?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for replying. I should have mentioned both of those. The scanner says it first tries OBD II (which is quick) and then it seems to get stuck trying to scan CAN (I'd have to look again, but I think it mentioned briefly there were 2 CAN versions) - it never stops or gives an error. If I need to know ISO/CAN version numbers, I'll need to hunt down the manual. The other cars were older - '98 - '04.

·
Registered
268 Posts
On some older cars, the pins on the data link connector (DLC) gets spread out
And don't make good connections. So, the scanner may not be making the contacts in the connector

·
Premium Member
1,319 Posts
Most scanners will list in order the protocol's it is trying when attempting to
make the connection. Does yours list them?
Are you waiting long enough for it to connect?
It should say link error if it cannot connect, may only flash for a 1/2 second
then go to start screen.

It might not have the correct protocol. Yours is listed as OBD_II - KWP2000_Fast_Init.

Take your car to an Autozone for a free scan and ask them what protocol it is using.

If they can connect, then you will know it's your scanner at fault.
Don

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks! Stupid me didn't think of taking it in and checking what they are able to get with a (presumably) much better scanner. This might be just in time because I just got a check engine light as the engine has been running weak and rough after I ran it to the bottom of the tank this week.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts