Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well as some of you know i bought this beat up 92 tracker that i am trying to restore, i have another problem with my tracker , when my tracker is put in 4x4 it makes a weird whining noise that i was told by a mechanic may be different gearing in the front and rear differential, anybody have any experience with this? I know nothing about this tracker other then it needs everything...lol

·
Super Moderator
26,882 Posts
First. make sure that the size of the tires, front and back, are the same. Have you checked the fluid in the transfer case? When this is noisy, do you have your hubs locked, as well? You should never drive these cars in 4wd with the hubs locked, on a dry surface - only on surfaces where the wheels can slip, otherwise you get what's called transfer case wind up. Which may be your problem. But give more info.
If it's any consolation, it is fairly easy to get a good transfer case in a junkyard, as normally they are not really used very often.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes the hubs are locked, i will check on fluid levels. So i live in a snowy/icy place in canada and your saying winter time i can't lock the tracker in 4x4 when driving on the highway (i will be using this alot winter time to carpool with others to work)? If so that sucks because one of the main purpose of it was going to be to park my 40 000$ car and drive that winter time :S

·
Administrator
19,041 Posts
I don't see different gearing front & rear as causing a whining noise - if you have free wheeling hubs on the front, put them to free (or 4x2) and put the transfer case shifter in 4H and drive it (this is like being in 2WD), if you still have the whining, try to locate it as being in the front of the vehicle (possibly the front differential) or in the center (possibly the transfer case).

No - you cannot drive in 4WD on the highway, unless said highway is slick & slippery - you need an AWD (all wheel drive) vehicle for that, not a part time 4WD.

·
Super Moderator
26,882 Posts
are you manual or auto hubs? In any event just lock your hubs and drive in 2wd. then shift the transfer case into 4wd when you need it without getting out of the car

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.