Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope someone can help!
I have a 2007 grand vitara turbo diesel and for the last 18 months it has been making a whining/hissing sound on acceleration. I spoke to my mechanic about it but he didn't seem to think it was anything to worry about so I continued to drive it worry free until....... last weekend my cousin and daughter were towing a horse box with two horses and as they went to go up the hill the car lost power and the noise on acceleration became louder. We unhitched the horse box and drove it home there are no new lights on the dash and the engine sounds fine unless you press the accelerator, there is some loss of power which I noticed while driving it to the mechanic and apparently there was smoke coming out of the exhaust on acceleration too!
Unfortunately my mechanic is on a cruise for a week so I'm still none the wiser so any ideas will be gratefully received.
Occasionally on the dash the ignition light comes on and there's a filter light which has been on for ages too but neither are a recent change.
Thanks

·
Administrator
16,306 Posts
I think you need a new mechanic - any one that tells a customer that a whining/hissing sound on acceleration isn't "anything to worry about" probably isn't looking after your best interests.

The whining & hissing can come from a multitude of different places, especially if considered independently, but together and coupled to acceleration, I would suspect the turbo charger.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I had the same sound when the rubber hose from the DPF blew.
$25 fix if that's the case. DIY of course ;)

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
... and there's a filter light which has been on for ages too ...
That's most likely your problem. First, read your owner's manual about that then see a dealer or a reputable diesel mechanic.
Looks like Oldtrack has your answer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
blown turbo!!

Thanks for all your help just had a call from the mechanic and it is the turbo that's gone God knows how much that's going to set me back!!
think I'll now go and invest in a horse and cart!

·
Registered
429 Posts
Don't forget the prices on ebay. ;)

·
Administrator
16,306 Posts
Depending on the condition of the turbo, they can sometimes be rebuilt - and this, in my mind, is the approach that should have been taken, when the sound(s) were first heard - I suspect the overall costs would have been less.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts