Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, just got alternator, all belts and airflow meter changed at my Grand Vitara xl-7,2004, 2.0td. Still a squealing noise from the engine. just when i am changing gears and the revolutions going down to 1000rpm for a moment ( driving slow). At the moment only when the engine is cold. Any idea what it could be? Thanks for help.

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
11,270 Posts
Did you spin everything by hand when the belts were off??

Can you replicate the noise when sitting parked...

....Philip

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
It might be a case of the belts needing re-tensioning? They're notorious for squealing if not tight enough- and new belts do tend to stretch after a bit of driving.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks David, what I thought there is an automatic one, like a spring tensioner, i will have a look at, cheers Kurt

·
Administrator
16,334 Posts
I don't see why a gear shift would make any difference to belt noise, however, increased vacuum resulting from the throttle plate closing can produce a high pitched whistle if a joint in the intake is leaking (this used to be a fairly common problem in the days or carburetors), so check the joints around that air flow meter, especially if it's one that's close to, or a part of, the throttle body.

·
Super Moderator
19,090 Posts
IF the noise presents in conjunction with higher engine RPM (at the end of each gear change), then it sounds like belt looseness / squeal to me. ;) Can you rev the engine while parked and simulate the same noise?

Bad tensioner, wrong belt, contaminated (oil? coolant?) belt, or an accesory gone bad (bound / dragging). Maybe even a pulley alignment issue.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts