Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My wife and I are driving a 1997 Suzuki Samurai. While accelerating in all gears at all speeds, there is a rattling noise coming from below the more the accelerator pedal is put down. It was present since we got the car, but it became worse after we had an oil change done yesterday.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Also, there is no noise when the car is in neutral while running it at an RPM higher than idle, with the clutch in or out.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Do you mean, when the engine is at low rpm and you put your foot down? Such as 3rd gear 20 mph, foot down, it rattles and shakes the car until your up to 2-2.5k rpm?

·
Registered
293 Posts
Is the sound like a rattle, knock, or ping?

Pinging sometimes occurs due to bad timing or carbon buildup. Try running through a tank of the highest octane gas you can find and see if the ping lessens or goes away. One way to get rid of the carbon build up is to use Seafoam (do a Google search for instructions).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@ Chrisjb330

Yes, that's pretty much exactly it. I've kind of concluded that it's simply a matter of being in too high a gear for whatever I'm doing at the time.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Chris,

Mine doesn't quite sound that horrible (our car doesn't shake). I'm now treating the transmission much more nicely by letting some speed build up and the RPM come up more before I shift up, and the problem has basically taken care of itself. I also pretty much never floor it, either.

·
Registered
328 Posts
If the exhaust pipe is touching metal in any place, it will sound like the Sami is trying to destroy itself. Give the tail-pipe a shake and see if it hits metal underneath. Mine was rubbing against the trailer hitch/plow under the bumper under throttle and it made a heck of a racket. Turned out that the muffler had rusted out.

·
Registered
278 Posts
mine is rattling as well as I accelerate.Mine also was the exhaust.It wasnt hitting metal but one of the hangers was loose and Its sounds like something is about to fall off at any minute....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts