Suzuki Forums banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I was a Jeep junkie for a while from a 60's wille wagon and a hand full of CJ5's in the mix, few Nissan and toyotas in there as well... never owned a "automatic hub" system. 28yrs Mechanic I have replaced more trashed auto hubs than manuel ones.... mostly to not being serviced due to the owner, I haven't had any wierd issues with hubs locked in and driving in 2wd in short distances... maybe a driveline vibration? but not this growl/squeal ordeal... Like I said this 94 tracker has 4xx,xxxmi on the clock, who knows what might be missing in parts or changed? It didn't make the noise before with the old trashed CV axles (half shafts) and it does with the new Rock Auto replacements... but alas, bearings were changed, drive lines got new U Joints (front and rear) rear pinion needs rebuild but still somewhat "driveable". Engine was rebuilt right after I aquired it. 16v block/8V head..lol so who knows I guess...

·
Super Moderator
25,238 Posts
Don’t know if this is any help:
And if you click on ‘suspension’ on the top of the diagram, you’ll find others, as well.

Reactions: Snafumechanicnfab

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Thats perfect, I'm thinking # 19 has a issue. I cleaned that up and used silicone grease. Drum brake shoe backing plate grease. Figured is was more water repellent than typical oil based grease. I shall see upon a dissassembly, before it becomes a Unscheduled Dissassembly..;-)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I have this weekend full, I''l try and get to the Tracker next weekend and at least take it apart on 1 side and inspect. If I come up with anything I'll post pics and with the Diagram Bex posted, see if there are any missing parts? lol

·
Registered
1996 Geo Tracker, 4D ,4x4, 5-spd Manual, A/C
22 Posts
I'd like to hear what you find out. I also replaced my hub bearings and seals on my 96 4WD Tracker 4Dr which we flat-tow behind our RV, and I've got a noise now (getting worse as time goes by) with hubs unlocked while in 2wd, it also starts and stops when I hit a bad patch of road. I'll hit one pothole, it will start warbling, then I'll be hunting frantically for ANOTHER pothole which usually makes it stop again.
My wife doesn't like this 'hunting for the 2nd pothole' thing, and I need to fix it.
With mine, I also got the car for cheap, and I've been slowly rebuilding it piece by piece. Both front hubs were visibly loose when I got it, someone serviced it and didn't know about crush bearings. I had to replace the hub bearings, and purchased the required lock ring tool, tightening them to the proper torque this time. One of the hubs was nearly destroyed on mine and had no groove for the locking ring on the back, so I replaced that hub with one from ebay. The wobbling hubs in my case pretty much destroyed the bushings on the cheap manual locking hubs, so I replaced them with a new set of the same cheap manual locking hubs. I apparently didn't tighten them enough so they loosened up on a trail and the new locking hub bushings are now destroyed, too...
So, long story short, you might want to check (re-check?) the bushings in the manual locking hubs, since I think that's causing MY problem. The ends of the axles have a little bit of play on mine, so I think that they get wobbling when I hit a pothole, and either slowing down or hitting another rough section of road usually makes them stop. So that sort of noise, might be from bad bushings, either in the spindle, or the one in the manual locking hub that supports the end of the axle shaft.
You're a Jeep guy, and know about crush bearings, so I'll skip asking you if you torqued the locking ring, as I'm sure you did.

·
Registered
1996 Geo Tracker, 4D ,4x4, 5-spd Manual, A/C
22 Posts
I'd like to hear what you find out. I also replaced my hub bearings and seals on my 96 4WD Tracker 4Dr which we flat-tow behind our RV, and I've got a noise now (getting worse as time goes by) with hubs unlocked while in 2wd, it also starts and stops when I hit a bad patch of road. I'll hit one pothole, it will start warbling, then I'll be hunting frantically for ANOTHER pothole which usually makes it stop again.
My wife doesn't like this 'hunting for the 2nd pothole' thing, and I need to fix it.
With mine, I also got the car for cheap, and I've been slowly rebuilding it piece by piece. Both front hubs were visibly loose when I got it, someone serviced it and didn't know about crush bearings. I had to replace the hub bearings, and purchased the required lock ring tool, tightening them to the proper torque this time. One of the hubs was nearly destroyed on mine and had no groove for the locking ring on the back, so I replaced that hub with one from ebay. The wobbling hubs in my case pretty much destroyed the bushings on the cheap manual locking hubs, so I replaced them with a new set of the same cheap manual locking hubs. I apparently didn't tighten them enough so they loosened up on a trail and the new locking hub bushings are now destroyed, too...
So, long story short, you might want to check (re-check?) the bushings in the manual locking hubs, since I think that's causing MY problem. The ends of the axles have a little bit of play on mine, so I think that they get wobbling when I hit a pothole, and either slowing down or hitting another rough section of road usually makes them stop. So that sort of noise, might be from bad bushings, either in the spindle, or the one in the manual locking hub that supports the end of the axle shaft.
You're a Jeep guy, and know about crush bearings, so I'll skip asking you if you torqued the locking ring, as I'm sure you did.
Pretty sure my problem is different from yours. I drove to town with the hubs locked yesterday, which I never do until reading how many people say it's okay to drive on the highway with them locked and the transfer case in 2wd. Not a peep of that noise, and the roads around Shasta are pretty bad in places. So your noise is probably caused by something else. Mine really must be the bushings in the locking hubs, and is what I get for buying the $60 option instead of Aisin or WARN..

21 - 26 of 26 Posts