Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had a person try to move my 2008 Suzuki Grand Vitara 5 speed manual. I think they have tried to hard to jam the gear shifter into reverse and possibly bend something inside. It will not go into reverse anymore. The clutch and hydraulics are just fine. The vehicle was working just fine before and very easy to get into reverse. All forward gears shift ok. Is it possible that a shift fork could be bent? If so does anyone have a 2008 service manual?

I am new to this forum. I am a former Nissan Technician now teacher in Canada.

·
Registered
167 Posts
First thread (sticky) in the forum has a link to the complete set of JB manuals.

Cheers
Wes

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
It sounds really odd.

I can not possibly imagine that it would be possible to bend a shift fork. How would one be able to do that, without causing some other visible damage to the car?

Can you shift into ANY other gear from neutral, while the engine is running? (clutch depressed)

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Looking at the manual page 5B-6 I think you will need to disassemble the shifter mechanism on top of the tranny unit. Unfortunately that is likely to require removing the tranny from the vehicle.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Here are the some pages from the section on the manual transmission, showing the layout of the shift forks (including page 5B-6). I agree with Kiwi, if something is bent or broken in the shift mechanism, its a big job to get to it. If you send me your email, I'll send you the whole section on the manual transmission.

·
Registered
271 Posts
What happens exactly when you try to put it in reverse?
Does the shifter appear to move fully across to the left?
Does it still go into 5th?
Is there any grinding?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
transmission help

Thanks to all who replied. This post may appear twice as I was just hitting post when the computer froze. Anyways, I ended up removing the transmission, then the shifter linkages and top case, as pictured in the diagrams that were posted. Item #5 is not showing a little spring that is connected to a lock out lever, also not shown. This spring was bend and out of place. That is all that was wrong. The lock out prevents the shifter from going out of 5th and into reverse. I had all forward gears no problem, just would not go into reverse. Suzuki here in Canada had the same diagram but called it #7. attached is a picture of it. Suzuki has ordered me the part with hopes that the spring is on it. The attached picture is looking at the part which would be upside down from the second page posted earlier. Thanks again. I will post a couple of pictures when I get the part. Thanks again. The diagrams were very useful.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts