Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So recently the power to my tail lights has been cut. Im assuming it is the same problem I had with my fuel pump (which I replaced/hardwired). I checked behind the back left tail light where the connecters were for everything and some were corroded and falling out. I cut out the wire connecters and hardwired everything. Still nothing. Im assuming that the problem is coming from right off the battery where the fuses are. Can anybody tell me which fuse and power relay would be the one that affects power to the tail lights? I have signals, brake lights and reverse lights if it helps. I took out the lights and the wiring is connected properly in the actual light. It is a 1.6L 89 JX 2 door.

·
Super Moderator
26,902 Posts
Does your dome light work? The tail lights and dome light work off the same fuse, top row, 3rd from left.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Do your side marker lights work ? I lost my tail lights and it was the blue plug behind the left speaker must have gotten loose, gave it a squeeze,lights back on.
Do your back up lights and brake lights work ?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My dome light works fine, Im not 100% sure if my side panel markers work. I have break reverse and signal lights. I see where you are talking about behind the speaker, ill have a look tomorrow. 3rd left fuse? the ones off the battery or in the fuse box?

·
Super Moderator
26,902 Posts
It's the fuse box under the dash, but if your dome light is working (and your car hasn't been re-wired in some way) then the fuse should be fine, as the tail lights and dome light work off the same fuse. You most probably need to start checking wiring, which goes from the plug that Relic talks about, through the driver's side (left) rocker panel and then behind the cardboard panel in the rear of the car, over the wheel well to the left rear tail light.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The good news is I have checked the back wiring already and redone it, now I just need to find that cord behind the fuse box I don't have power on either so its a safe assumption the break is coming from left tail light forward.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I checked under the dash and the fuse that was 3rd from the left (blue 15) was still in place and intact, i replaced it with another, the old ones top had melted off due to some sort of heat problem. I checked all the connectors behind my fuse box and all seem good, no corrosion and snug. I figure the problem is more forward than that?

·
Registered
158 Posts
The corroded connector could have been causing a mild short which melted the fuse. Since you just fixed that wiring at the connector, hopefully a new fuse will be all you need.

Funny I just had a problem last Thursday with a taillight out and that same connector had corroded both the taillight wire and the fuel pump wire, all else were good as I pulled on them all. Hardwired the two bad ones but at -20F plus wind chill that's all I could do. This summer I'll redo them all.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The corroded connector could have been causing a mild short which melted the fuse. Since you just fixed that wiring at the connector, hopefully a new fuse will be all you need.

Funny I just had a problem last Thursday with a taillight out and that same connector had corroded both the taillight wire and the fuel pump wire, all else were good as I pulled on them all. Hardwired the two bad ones but at -20F plus wind chill that's all I could do. This summer I'll redo them all.
I hear you, Ive been doing everything on it at -20C plus wind. Its the worst. The rear lights are still a no go, i looked and they are connected. Maybe its the relay from the switch.... I know my fuel pump cut when the tail lights did. I also lost a front headlight today, but one works so Im assuming it just burned out.

·
Super Moderator
26,902 Posts
If the fuse was the problem, then the dome light inside the car would not have worked either - they both work off the same fuse. So, good dome light, good fuse. You should check for continuity between the wire end at the left rear tail light (which services both tail lights) and at the fuse. Presumably the ground is ok, as several things work off the same ground as the tail lights - unless there are other things that work off this same ground (like fuel pump, I believe).

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If the fuse was the problem, then the dome light inside the car would not have worked either - they both work off the same fuse. So, good dome light, good fuse. You should check for continuity between the wire end at the left rear tail light (which services both tail lights) and at the fuse. Presumably the ground is ok, as several things work off the same ground as the tail lights - unless there are other things that work off this same ground (like fuel pump, I believe).
the connections to my fuel pump are not connected from the main line that would normally power it. The connectors are just attached, I hardwired that thru a relay myself. In any way would that create an issue?

·
Super Moderator
26,902 Posts
It could, I suppose - the ground for the fuel pump, as well as the tail lights, is that ground that is behind the left rear tail light, and there are a number of splices on that wire up to that point, where various circuits feed into that one ground. But I think you have no choice but to get out your DVM, and check the tail light circuit from the fuse back. I don't believe that your problem is more 'forward' from the fuse box toward the fusible link. Presumably your dash lights, radio light, etc. works? These all come off the combi switch, and run off the same red/yellow wire until they get to a splice by the left hand front speaker, where the red/yellow splices off to the dash lights, and off to the rear lights. From that splice, the red/yellow goes to a 20 pin connector under the dash, where the instrument panel harness connects to the floor harness. The floor harness then runs through the rocker panel. I suppose it's best to make sure you have 12v at the 20 pin connector for the red/yellow, and then work your way back.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have dash lights and power to absolutely everything but my fuel pump and taillights. So I am going to check it out tomorrow as its a day off, Ill hopefully be able to rewire whatever needs to be rewired and get this thing back to proper running order.

·
Super Moderator
26,902 Posts
The wiring diagram shows that not only do the fuel pump and tail lights share a ground, but they share a splice to that ground, that is located behind the right hand rear tail light. You may want to check that splice. I am assuming that this must be a ground problem, as these two circuits share nothing else that I can see.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I looked at the taillights and the wiring pulled out of my left brake/taillight. I tried to saulder it in place but couldnt get anything to stick. I found a parting out geo (89) and the guy is going to sell me both taillights for 30$. When the saulder did hold both lights worked, when it didnt, both lights quit. I rigged up a tail light to the window and tapped it into the tail light power, it is getting power and the relay is still good. This shows that my problem is at the back of the car beyond the connecter on the back left side.

·
Super Moderator
26,902 Posts
It is difficult to ascertain what may be the problem if your tail lights are not wired in the factory way. Normally, the tail lights are not in series, like Xmas lights, so that if one does not work because it is not connected, it should not affect the other. If you have the left tail light disconnected at the tail light, and it affects the right tail light, then perhaps this circuit has been rewired somewhere at the rear of the car.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So I got the new taillights and a new bulb for the headlights for 40$, after installing I noticed the back right light would turn on then soon after stop while the left would stay on. I spliced the rear left lights power for the tailight across and under the bumperand wired it into the left tail lights power before the connector to keep all the wiring inside the car. Sure enough it all works 100% now and very bright.

The wiring is exactly the same as it was before minus the wire i just spliced. By Hard wire I only mean I cut out the connector and use but connecters due to the amount of uncertainty and corrosion the stock connections caused.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.