Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have learned way more than I wanted to about repairing Samurai's this past month. After pulling the tranny out twice, I went on to replacing the oil pan gasket as the Sammy was leaking a lot of oil. After putting in a new gasket I was pretty bummed to see a bunch of oil all over the place after driving it. Turned out the front oil seal was bad. I pulled out the parts to get to it, including the radiator, and replaced the timing belt at the same time. I have to say replacing the front oil seal was an easy job.

However, in my mind I was wondering if the rear oil seal was bad too given there was also a lot of oil back there. I REALLY didn't want to R&I the tranny for a 3rd time! Fortunately there are no more oil leaks after replacing the front oil seal and oil pan gasket (used sealant on both sides of the pan gasket).

I paid $15 for a steering wheel puller kit from Harbor Freight and used the puller in that kit to pull off the timing belt pulley to get to the oil seal. (Had to buy a couple metric screws at Lowes to use will the puller.) So if you have a leaking front oil seal, replace it, it's not that hard to do! :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts