Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Things I did
checked spark plug gap .028 NO CHANGE
cleaned MAF with CRC NO CHANGE
found loose mounting screw on TPS , tightened screw , NO CHANGE
checked thermostat , no rubber gasket , added rubber "O" ring casket NO CHANGE
checked WTC sensor , checked ok, forgot to replace plug on WTC sensor , car ran "almost " perfect. replaced WTC sensor , plugged it in , getting same no load miss, un plug WTC sensor , car runs " almost " perfect .
checked voltage at WTC , getting 4.7 volts.
I am in Santee , California , any experts in my area?
Thanks
Lon

·
Super Moderator
25,542 Posts
First bit of advice would be to put your car's specs into your signature, so everyone knows what you're driving - engine, year, tranny, mods, etc.
Then maybe give more detail - how have you determined it's a 'miss'? Happens when engine cold, warm, all the time? What are you calling a WTC sensor??? Is your check engine light on with the key on and off once the car starts? What is the condition of your spark plug tips? Does car warm up properly, etc.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Bex
Thanks for the reply. My post is a continuation of my previous post (no load miss 1.6 liter 16 valve) .

Car is a 1993 , engine is 1991 block , 1993 head , rebuilt . Has 23,000 miles on rebuild.
5 speed , thorley header.

Plugs and O2 sensor were replaced at rebuild.

No problem starting hot or cold.

Idle is 1500 cold 900 hot.

WTC....sorry I ment ETC (engine coolant temperature) sensor

No check engine light when running, CEL is on with key on engine not running.

unable to extract codes using "jumper wire" (paper clip).

You asked "how did you determine it has a miss" , well it is not hard to feel a miss in a four cylinder car.
The miss is hot or cold , when hot , some of the time it will miss just off of idle even on a hard hill and most of the time it will miss when under 3,000 RPM under NO LOAD , for example , flat ground , 45 MPH in 4th or 5th gear or 35 MPH in 3ed gear or trying to putt through a parking lot in 1st or 2nd.

The miss is not a "rhythmic miss" like if you pulled off a plug wire , it is an erratic miss and you can hear the exhaust "burble" . It will miss for a second or two then smooth out then miss a little then smooth out etc. etc.

As before , runs great when ETC is disconnected which will cause the system to lean out correct? So , if it runs better when the system is running leaner that would mean I have an over rich condition . So could it be bad injectors or fuel pressure regulator?

Thanks again
Lon

·
Super Moderator
25,542 Posts
You must get that CEL working so you can pull codes. As you advise that the CEL is on with the key on (and off when the car starts) presumably this is not the service engine soon function that is prohibiting you from doing this. Confirm that you are jumping the pin for the blue/yellow wire to the pin for the black wire at the diagnostic connector. Presumably you have the 6 pin connector, no??
The reason I ask to define the miss is that sometimes a 'bog' can be construed the same way. When you feel the car missing, if you rev it up, do you come out of it right away? Have you checked for good spark at each of your plugs? (and, of course, my favorite - a compression test....). I believe that if the valve lash is not correct, this can cause a similar problem as well - all of these things are mechanical, and would not be picked up by the ECU. A bog, on the other hand, is normally caused by the EGR valve circuit being dirty - have you ever removed the EGR valve and cleaned it (carb cleaner) along with its passages? On your 93, the EGR has no thermoprobe, so would not throw a code, even if it's malfunctioning.

·
Registered
5,295 Posts
Are you getting 4.7V with the engine warmed up? that would imply a bad earth on the WTS.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts