Suzuki Forums banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Super Moderator
26,736 Posts
I’m not sure if the 1989/90 ECU will throw a code 42. From what I understand, it is possible for the engine to run with starter fluid, with the ECU completely disconnected, in these two years. IIRC, the ECU ‘monitors’ spark in these years, but doesn’t control it. That being said, the ECU should throw a code 41, if the ECU does not see the ignition signal. The first post here indicates that perhaps there is no longer a tach signal (tach needle not moving when cranking??). The tach signal is pulsing 12v to the ECU, and the ECU uses this signal to know when to pulse the injector.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Hello everyone I’m new to this forum. I’ve read through hundreds of threads but I’m still lost. I have a 1990 Tracker 4x4 5sp 1.6 8v with 38k that is not getting an injection pulse. So far I have replaced the fuel pump and the three capacitors in the ecm(33920-60A32) but still no injection pulse. I tried the noid light test on the injector wires and to no avail. It also seems that I may have no tach signal but I’m unsure on how to test for it. It runs well off of test fuel so I know I have spark and compression. Here is some additional info that may be applicable. The car sat for about 4 years prior to me buying it. When I first started working on it I tried starting it with some ether and I did have a tach reading then but now it points pretty much down. No CEL with key on or while it is cranking. Also tried to pull codes but the engine light does not light up at all so I’m thinking the bulb is bad. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Dave
[Just a thought as I'm far from an expert (not even semi-competent) but since it runs on test fuel (ether); when you turn the key to the "on" position in a quiet place (e.g. garage), can you hear the fuel pump run? How does the fuel pump ground wire (behind the left rear tail light) look? If the pump runs (it is new) then I'm thinking a bad injector? Since it runs on test fuel then spark, compression and timing are fine. Just no fuel making it to the combustion chambers. Definitely a fuel supply problem. Maybe a bad (broken/open) wire to the injector?]

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
13,123 Posts
You need to confirm injector signal at the FI connector (noid light)

·
Super Moderator
26,736 Posts
You seem to advise that you have no tach signal, or would like to test it. I don’t have the schematic for the ECU connectors for your car, but on the 91+ it is the yellow connector, at the #1 location (a yellow/blue wire). With the ignition in the on position, you should have 12v at this connector.
The brown/white wire at the noise suppressor is involved with the tach signal….with the ignition on, you should have 12v on the brown/white wire. If not there is an open on that wire. If yes then probe the brown wire at the suppressor. If no voltage there either, the suppressor is faulty.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts