Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1995 Geo Tracker that has no response when key is turned. We had driven it several times during the day and the last time we went to start it there no ignition.

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
11,835 Posts
So, You have a no crank !

Check the headlights, are they bright ?
Dash lights with key on ??
Auto or manual transmission ?

·
Registered
281 Posts
Standard or auto? On my standard every once in a while there is no response from the ignition with the clutch in. The neutral switch does not last forever and that is one cause to look into. If standard ,turn key to start and move pedal in and out as it may just work. others will chime in with possibilities. Welcome to the forum . We need a bit more info about your Suzuki so we can troubleshoot better.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So, You have a no crank !

Check the headlights, are they bright ?
Dash lights with key on ??
Auto or manual transmission ?
Yes have nothing when key is turned. All lights are on. Had battery checked and is good. Has manual transmission. My first thought was faulty clutch safety switch. Thought it would be easy to by pass but found it almost impossible to get to. If there is another way to bypass that switch let me know. So could there be a fuse for the starting system. Thank you for considering my problem.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Yes have nothing when key is turned. All lights are on. Had battery checked and is good. Has manual transmission. My first thought was faulty clutch safety switch. Thought it would be easy to by pass but found it almost impossible to get to. If there is another way to bypass that switch let me know. So could there be a fuse for the starting system. Thank you for considering my problem.
Did you check the starter for a loose wires? One of them is a blade connector and can get corroded or loose. Ask me how I know this.
B95

·
Super Moderator
25,901 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Have you tried jumping the starter motor (jumping the spade connector to the bolt/large wire coming directly from the battery) to see if the starter will spin?
While the clutch safety switch is difficult to get to in order to bypass, it is possible to manually push it in while turning the ignition key to see if the engine will crank (make sure you are in neutral with the parking brake on). Does your ignition switch work for items that rely on a key on situation, like the windshield wipers??

Reactions: riley and Bear95

·
Registered
993 Posts
You could try what us old farmers would do and coast the car and pop the clutch while car is in gear.

·
Registered
281 Posts
works on slopes but not so well when you are at bottom of slope! That just gets the truck running not cured.

·
Registered
993 Posts
works on slopes but not so well when you are at bottom of slope! That just gets the truck running not cured.
Sometimes a stuck bendix or loose connection will go back working or you can at least get it somewhere to diagnose. You don't really need a slope.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Sorry I was being selfish as I have had to roll one of my vehicles all by myself to finally get it running . Anytime I am away from civilization I park on a slight slope just for the "what if "scenario.

·
Super Moderator
25,901 Posts
If you respond to some of the queries, (for example, your fuse question is answered in post #6) we’ll be able to help better.

·
Premium Member
94 2dr Tracker 96 4dr Tracker both 4x4.
116 Posts
our 94 2 dr had a ify issue, after I reilaized the previous, previous owner had a alarm with starter disable... that took a min to find and fix. Voltage drop within the added wiring for the alarm/disable was causing the issue. Wired back to Suzuki stock been fine. Aw yes the little spade (signal/keyswitch wire) for the starter....

·
Registered
388 Posts
I have a 1995 Geo Tracker that has no response when key is turned. We had driven it several times during the day and the last time we went to start it there no ignition.
Have you tried having a friend turn the ignition key while you tap/pound on the starter? That sometimes works.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did you check the starter for a loose wires? One of them is a blade connector and can get corroded or loose. Ask me how I know this.
B95
We had a similar problem and I found that the starter was hanging up so a good tap on the starter/bendix while someone is trying to crank worked worked. Finally had to replace the starter.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Did you get it to start?
B95

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Still working on determining why I have zero response when I turn the key on my 4x4 manual transmission 1993 Geo Tracker. I have been told that there could be a drop in voltage between the ignition switch and the starter because off a faulty relay. Can anyone verify this and possibly tell me if it can be tested and possibly be replaced.

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
11,835 Posts
YES !

·
Administrator
17,106 Posts
First - same person, same vehicle, same problem - keep it in one discussion - I've merged your threads.

Second - there are NO relays between the ignition switch and the starter on an unmodified 1993 Geo Tracker, if yours has a relay, it's because someone fitted it, and if that's the case, then you'll need to find the person who did it and ask them.

Third - it's VITAL that we be on the same page - unless we have an accurate idea of what is happening, we won't be able to assist you, you need to be clear and consistent in telling us what is or is not happening.

Let's start with what happens when you turn the ignition key to on - do the dash warning lights come on - be specific - I don't want to be told all the lights come on, I want to be told exactly which lights come on - charge light, oil pressure light, check engine light, etc..

Next, tell us what happens when you turn the ignition key to start - does it click? does it crank?

Understand very clearly - there is a difference between a no ignition scenario and a no crank scenario, understand that saying there is "zero response" when you turn the key doesn't tell us what we need to know. To me it means that NOTHING happens, which, whilst not impossible, is also not very likely.

If you are in fact getting "zero response" when you turn the key to on - then push the horn button, if the horn doesn't blow - start at the battery and make sure it's fully charged, and the terminals are clean and tight - get a volt meter and check for voltage at the battery terminals.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts