Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, looking for some advice and help.....I'm not a mechanic or tinkerer, am more aligned to working with cakes than cars so please bear with me 馃榿. I have a 2005 Suzuki Grand Vitara TD....82K on the clock and never (usually) lets me down. Yesterday I jumped in and it wouldn't start.....kept turning over like a good 'un but not firing up. Tried again, no luck. 3rd time of trying started after turning over for a couple of seconds and I was on my way. About a mile or so down the road the engine cut out and lost power steering. Tried numerous times but wouldn't start up again despite trying (recent new battery gave it a good go but no joy). Luckily was just at side of a garage and they came out to help. Asked me if I'd filled up recently (think they were questioning wrong fuel scenario) and told them 'no' but was on way to do so as fuel light had very recently come on. Diagnostic tablet told them something about no fuel in the fuel rail?(no idea what I'm talking about here so help me out if I'm saying something stupid :ROFLMAO:) Anyway I agreed to leave it with them whilst they had a look and told them I really didn't want to spend much on it as think its only worth a couple of hundred quid and was just running it til it wasn't worth spending on any more. Garage have now rang back to say it is a faulty 'sender unit' which I understand tells the fuel gauge how much is in the tank (lad originally said gauge was showing close to empty but was good amount of fuel in tank which makes sense.) My question is this.....would a faulty gauge make the engine cut out if there was actually fuel in the tank? The garage has said it's difficult to find 2nd hand parts for my car as all being shipped abroad but if I can find one they will charge approx 拢100 to fit. I've looked on Ebay and think I've found a pre owned one for 拢65 but says 1998-2006 MK2 so not sure if that's the same as my car?? He also thinks I could manage by doing nothing and just keeping the fuel filled up as this will stop it cutting out......does any of this make sense to you 'experts' and would you recommend scrapping it rather than spending approx 拢200 on getting it fixed? Thanks for any help you can send my way. CC

Registered
depending on the disel engine model, yes, low fuel level can cause it to shut off to prevent a lengthy bleeding process to get it re started. if it stays running with a higher fuel level then that is the cause.

Registered
As for the cost to fix being worth it, only you can decide that. If it was me, I'd get it fixed. But I don't have to deal with MOT, heck I don't even have the option of finding a diesel!
If you like it, and replacement costs are anything like in the States right now, then well worth it to keep it going. Especially with low miles.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts