Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the last two days I had noticed that my car has been weakly starting. I didn't think much of it, until today when I tried to leave from work... My car wouldn't start. I turned the key and the only thing that happened was the dash lights coming on as well as my radio. No turnover or anything. I thought at first that possibly my battery had gone bad, but with the dash lights coming on I don't think so. We jumped it, but the first try at jumping the same thing happened, the second try the car started as normal. It ran fine, and when I got home I turned it off and started it back up with no problems 3 consecutive times. Does anyone have any idea as to why it wouldn't start the first time???

·
Registered
15 Posts
For some reason mine did that quite a while back. I would have to mess with the positive battery lead which seemed to fix the issue. I would try start the vehical, but apon cranking the entire car would shut down, its pretty exciting.

You might want to check the ignition fuses in the engine fuse block too.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Easy E said:
Ok, but How do you know if a fuse has gone bad?
pick up each and every fuse and hold it up to the light. theres usually an upside down V looking "wire" on the inside. if the wire is broken, then the fuse is blown. if it's still whole and doesn't look damaged, then it is still good

·
Registered
15 Posts
Easy E said:
Ok, but How do you know if a fuse has gone bad?
As said above, even if you've never seen a blown fuse, it looks quite different from the other's and will probably catch your attention under loose inspection. The large (30?) amp fuses they use in the engine block are alot easier to inspect than the 15 and 10's they use in the driver's side block.

·
Super Moderator
18,021 Posts
If it's not a bad battery post connection, then my $'s on the battery.

You've got all of the symptoms. ;)

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Well I have checked all the fuses and I didn't find any that were blown... I can get everything to turn on electronically, i.e. stereo, dash lights, dome lights, headlights... But absolutely nothing when I turn the key to start position.

But I have only got 30,000 thousand miles on my car, I have a grounding kit, as well as new super blue 8500k Bulbs for both the highs and lows. Plus some leds in the brake and reverse lights... Would my battery need replaced this soon??

·
Super Moderator
18,021 Posts
Does the starter click and the dash lights go dim when you try and start it? You may have enough power to operate a few dash lights, even the radio, but not the start circuit due to a weak battery.
Pull the headlights on. If they go out when trying to start...it IS the battery. Well maybe not with DRL's. What year / model do you have?

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
it could very well be the battery, the starter, a simple fuse....

i had a battery problem similar to yours. i knew it was the battery, but then it started running just fine for a few months with no problems. then, one day it didnt start while i was leaving from work. my dad came, we jumped it and it ran fine. i drove maybe 2 blocks away, came to a stop light, and my car died and stayed dead...i had it towed to my house (75 dollars), then had to take my dads truck to get a new battery(more $$$).

the starter might have a bad connection, or it might have simply just gone out. your description of this problem does not throw a red flag for your starter if you ask me. it seems like you're having a loss of power, which goes back to the battery.

a blown fuse would prevent your car from starting one way or another. your distributor, your plugs, your starter, your ECU, etc are all on fuses of some kind to prevent damage to them. this doesn't really sound like the culprit either after reading your description...

in short, check your battery. it's one of the easiest things to change on the car, but is a vital element to your car.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
When I turn the key, there is no click, no crank, no nothing... Just lights coming on in dash, radio. I don't think it's my battery, maybe my starter, just for the fact that everything works electronically, but the engine crank won't start. I tried the lights and start thing but nothing happening with the lights, they stayed on as normal, and still no crank... I think a wire as a short in it or something... I can't try a new battery just yet because no one around me carries a replacement battery to match the OEM battery. The other thread helped, but all the problems seemed to be on really new vehicles, mine is not... It's an 06 w/ 30,000 mi on it. Tomorrow I am going to check stuff with a Volt meter and see if there is a short anywhere... And if no avail then I will be going to the dealer...

·
Super Moderator
18,021 Posts
Sounds like a plan. ;)

I had a similar situation where my clutch pedal activated safety switch was bad and the start circuit wouldn't complete. The post / link a couple back from here relates to a trans selector issue. Did you catch that one as well?

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
if you're still under warranty, you should just take it in. it might just be a simple fix, but you're paying for the warranty, why not use it?

·
Registered
258 Posts
Easy E said:
When I turn the key, there is no click, no crank, no nothing... Just lights coming on in dash, radio. I don't think it's my battery, maybe my starter, just for the fact that everything works electronically, but the engine crank won't start. I tried the lights and start thing but nothing happening with the lights, they stayed on as normal, and still no crank... I think a wire as a short in it or something... I can't try a new battery just yet because no one around me carries a replacement battery to match the OEM battery. The other thread helped, but all the problems seemed to be on really new vehicles, mine is not... It's an 06 w/ 30,000 mi on it. Tomorrow I am going to check stuff with a Volt meter and see if there is a short anywhere... And if no avail then I will be going to the dealer...
Did u not read the thread i posted? its an ECU issue, it needs to be reflashed to be up to date. mine did the same thing last week and i got it fixed.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oh ok... I missed that... But the battery was dead so we replaced it but still no change... So we are going to the dealership tomorrow morning...

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well the tech at the dealer said the problem is the clutch switch, it neds to be replaced... Thanks for all of your guys help!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah, mine is still under warranty so no charge, but of course the dealer didn't have the part in stock... so they did a temp fix by shaving down the switch or something. But still a pain in the butt to have to go twice for such a little problem...

·
Super Moderator
18,021 Posts
Yeah...they did what I did while waiting for MY switch. Jumpered out the old one.;)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Max said:
I had a similar situation where my clutch pedal activated safety switch was bad and the start circuit wouldn't complete. The post / link a couple back from here relates to a trans selector issue. Did you catch that one as well?
Whats that??
Can´t start your car with clutch pedal up??
..Wierd.. never heard before..

1 - 20 of 28 Posts