Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so my lever locked in the transfer case and i followed the instructions to replace the shifter sheet/bushing and lo and behold there was no bushing. needless to say the lever got back into and out of gear and things are running again. so should i be concerned about no bushing or should i just leave it as long as things are working? its a 88 suzuki samurai 4wheel drive.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I would go ahead and change the t-case oil while you are at it.
Alot of other people don't worry about and have no problems.

The gear oil is cheap (it takes less than a quart) so the biggest thing is the time involved.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
dig around in the drain hole with a set of tweezers or forecepts to make sure there aren't large chunks of plastic up in there...

Most of the shifter sheet is probably chewed up so small to see but poke around a little just in case.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i definitley gave it a good inspection and i didnt see any remnants of a wasted bushing. no bits no pieces so i dont know.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so your saying i should replace it cause as of now there is nothing in there and it is working. my philosophy is if it aint broke then dont break it. what you think?

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
so your saying i should replace it cause as of now there is nothing in there and it is working. my philosophy is if it aint broke then dont break it. what you think?
So you are ok with the shifter getting stuck between gears (modes) at the wrong moment... traffic jams suck, especially when you are causing them.

Replace the bushing.
;)

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I think he means the oil. If he does, then yes, replace it. If there is nothing visible in the oil because the plastic was ground up so fine, it doesn't mean that it isn't having an adverse affect on the oil or components. Mixing plastic into your oil can break it down prematurely, it can cause parts to bind, and can coat the gear surfaces with carmelized plastic resin.

If he's not talking about the oil, then never mind. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
I believe I am suffering from same thing. Where do I go to get new bushing? Someone on the forum surely has them, I hope. I am new here.

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
I believe I am suffering from same thing. Where do I go to get new bushing? Someone on the forum surely has them, I hope. I am new here.
Welcome!
Many of these 'where can I get these parts' questions can be answered the same way. If you can't get them through your local Suzuki Parts Counter (some still can actually), then you can go to the Zook vendors that have been with us since the first Samurai needed aftermarket shackles...

PetroWorks
Welcome to the Trail Tough Products
HAWK STRICTLY SUZUKI | Welcome.
Low Range Off Road: One Stop for Suzuki and Toyota Off Road Parts

They all have great parts and great service. Don't just trust a google search... (and no, I don't work for any of them!)
;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts