Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Zuki fans, newbie here with 1st post to the forum. :)

Specs: 1996 USA Sidekick Sport JLX, 1.8l, 16v, 4 door, 4 speed automatic.

This kick has 125k on the clock and is all stock. I drive on a local beach often during the year and needed to get some decent M/T tires.

I chose to go with 225/75/15's on my stock alum rims, the tires are Kenda Klever K29's. The price was RIGHT....REAL RIGHT!!! :D

Nice aggressive tread and noise is not too shabby considering. Only a slight rub at full steering, but could easily be eliminated with .5" or larger wheel spacers. (maybe later) ;)

Before and after pics following....remember, BONE STOCK except for the tires! Tape measure pics show before and after ride height. :eek:

Thanks for looking!

·
Super Moderator
25,542 Posts
Welcome to the forum! And nice looking truck, too. I have the 225/75/15's on my stock (1991) Tracker - no rubbing issues at all, and they fill the wheel well really nicely, as well. Slightly too wide for the stock rims (Tracker stock rims are 5.5" and for this size tire, 6-8" rims are recommended), but I have no crowning issues with them. Remember, your speedo will now be off - I believe it will show 4% slower than how fast you are actually going. Nice site here for calculation:
Tire Size Calculator - Tire & Wheel Plus Sizing

·
Registered
5,295 Posts
They look good :) you can eliminate the rubbing by adjusting the steering stops.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Welcome to the forum! And nice looking truck, too. I have the 225/75/15's on my stock (1991) Tracker - no rubbing issues at all, and they fill the wheel well really nicely, as well. Slightly too wide for the stock rims (Tracker stock rims are 5.5" and for this size tire, 6-8" rims are recommended), but I have no crowning issues with them. Remember, your speedo will now be off - I believe it will show 4% slower than how fast you are actually going. Nice site here for calculation:
Tire Size Calculator - Tire & Wheel Plus Sizing
Thanks Bex, I actually read a post you made from a search about the speedo issue and checked into it.;)

The MPH difference was 5.25 slower than actual speed. Calculator stated 7.80% too fast.

I would like to find the correct gear for the speedo if anyone knows a source. Kick-fix.com doesn't seem to be working??:eek:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They look good :) you can eliminate the rubbing by adjusting the steering stops.
Thanks Rhinoman, I read about that also.:D

I would like to state that even though the sport model has a wider frame, I still think I'll go with wheel spacers to eliminate the rub. I only think this will be best due to the fact that I do mostly all my 4x4 on the sand at a local beach.

It is over run with "BIG RIGS" which leave "BIG RUTS", and that can sometimes lead to problems for us "LITTLE GUYS". Hence a wider stance to keep me a slight bit out of their ruts. Just a theory of course.:p

·
Super Moderator
25,542 Posts
Actually, I believe that it is common for the speedo, with factory wheels, to actually indicate that you are going up to 5mph faster than you actually are, set this way on purpose at the factory. The most accurate way to determine your speed is probably via GPS.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The most accurate way to determine your speed is probably via GPS.
Bex, I'll set a TomTom GPS in there for $H!T's and Giggles. Will get back to you on accuracy.

BTW I really appreciate the wealth of info that forums bring to the table. As a whole, there are lot's of good people with great tech support. Experts and experienced to shadetree and organic mechanics. ;)

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
... Specs: 1996 USA Sidekick Sport JLX, 1.8l, 16v, 4 door, 4 speed automatic. ...
... I chose to go with 225/75/15's on my stock alum rims, ...
In the interest of accuracy.

Something tells me that you have 16 inch wheels. (Stock wheel size for the Sport model is 16 inch. 15 inch wheels will not clear the front brakes.) So you might want to read the tire size right off the tire.

OBTW: Not bad looking rig. Nicer than my Sport.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Something tells me that you have 16 inch wheels. (Stock wheel size for the Sport model is 16 inch. 15 inch wheels will not clear the front brakes.) So you might want to read the tire size right off the tire.

OH SNAP!!! I meant to post as 225/75/16's!! :eek:

That is correct, the sport's have upgraded brakes and will not fit 15" rims! My mistake, thanks for catching that. I swear I wrote 16. Dang early morning posts!! :confused: LoL

Thanks for the compliment, It is a work in progress. ;)

·
Super Moderator
25,542 Posts

Good catch!! ;)

·
Registered
598 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts