Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Considering buying a used Samarai. What is difference between Samarai and Sidekick?---Don't want all tin, so what models should I be looking for? Don't need huge build for rock climbing---Just general offroad use---What to look for and what to stay away from---Thanks for your help

Do you know of any threads on here that talk about Samarai vs Sidekick---Tried the search, couldn't find any---

Happy

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
Considering buying a used Samarai. What is difference between Samarai and Sidekick?---Don't want all tin, so what models should I be looking for? Don't need huge build for rock climbing---Just general offroad use---What to look for and what to stay away from---Thanks for your help

Happy
Welcome!
First of all, a build can be as easy or as complicated as you want to make it. The level of build depends on your own needs/wants/style.

Samurai:
older model
true convertible, folding windshield with kit
solid axles
doors easily removable
1.3 ltr stock / upgradeable to 1.6 easily
carbed or efi
standard trans
divorced t-case
many more aftermarket options available
Easier to work on

Track/Kick:
newer model
even the soft top model has partial hard top...
Solid rear/ifs front
mostly efi, very few 1989 1.3 carbed models
1.6 ltr stock
mostly efi
stick or auto
t-case attached to trans
aftermarket options growing

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
Thanks Bill for the info--How does the Geo Tracker fit into this mix---Thanks

Happy
Good question.

When GM (GEO) wanted to sell a light 4wd, they made a deal with Suzuki. The Tracker was just a Suzuki Sidekick with different trim. Even the part numbers (for the most part) were identical.

When Suzuki released the X-90, they also used the Sidekick as a base. You can use Track/kick suspension/frame aftermarket upgrades on the X-90...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks again for info---What exactly is the X-90?
The Samarai ended in 1995---What years did the Geo, Kick, and X-90 cover. I'm just looking for something to offroad with--Any of these would probably work stock for me---I'm into comfort now even my quad is full auto, (KFX 700 V Force)---So the little Kick rag top 4x4, auto, a/c, coil springs, small lift and little bigger tires seems like the way for me to go---Just wish they weren't such ugly little suckers--Oh well.

Happy

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
The X-90 was only available for 2 years. It was a 2 seater that you will either love or hate. I think it was 89-90.

The Track/Kicks can look good too depending on how much time you put into them. Here is a shot of 2 early Trackers and a 2004 Tracker. All of them have had major suspension work done.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK---OK---No sense of humor--------Well on the more serious side what do you guys think of this one----It seems like it's a Sammi with a Kick engine.

990 SUZUKI SAMURAI JL, Rare fuel injection Suzuki Samurai JL, recent Low milage japanese 1.6 litre engine installation...Runs Purfect. New JP eater LIFT KIT.... from Rocky Road Suspension, along with springover conversion on YJ leaf springs. 2" body lift, for a total of 10" lift. nice interior seats and door panels.. Clean original paint, with virtually NO Rust. New Softtop, This Samurai Runs Great. Awsome 4x4....... $2999.obo.......

http://images.craigslist.org/3m23p33lcZZZZZZZZZ976157e67edbcce1435.jpg

Thanks-----Happy

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
OK---OK---No sense of humor--------Well on the more serious side what do you guys think of this one----It seems like it's a Sammi with a Kick engine.

990 SUZUKI SAMURAI JL, Rare fuel injection Suzuki Samurai JL, recent Low milage japanese 1.6 litre engine installation...Runs Purfect. New JP eater LIFT KIT.... from Rocky Road Suspension, along with springover conversion on YJ leaf springs. 2" body lift, for a total of 10" lift. nice interior seats and door panels.. Clean original paint, with virtually NO Rust. New Softtop, This Samurai Runs Great. Awsome 4x4....... $2999.obo.......

http://images.craigslist.org/3m23p33lcZZZZZZZZZ976157e67edbcce1435.jpg

Thanks-----Happy
Depending on your location, that could be a good deal.
A couple of interesting things to be aware of:
1990 to 1995 - all were EFI (Fuel Injection) so not so rare.
If you get to see a pic under the hood, check which direction the air intake is pointing. If the intake hose goes to the passenger side, they just yanked the 1.3 motor and wedged the 1.6 in between the stock intake and exhaust systems (same thing I did on my white trail rig). That is a good, stable platform. If the air horn points over the motor to the drivers side then they used the 1.6 intake and EFI. It works when done right, but check the wiring harness to make sure it wasn't just cobbled together.
The RR YJ conversion is decent, and it will give you a great ride. Just check for a real 'high steer' system and don't settle for just a bent drag link... RRO sold tons of those, but they don't fix bump steer.
SPOA adds an additional 4.5" of lift so with the YJ kit you can fit at least 33" tires easily. I would dump the body lift though. Overkill. It already has enough lift without it. Safer if you just stick with suspension lift.

I have done all of these installs, so hit me with any Q's you may have.;)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh, and I do like the zebra stripes... a friend did that with a Sammy a few years ago and it was a great hit.;)
The litttle Zebra I posted---Guy says it only has 45K on it original miles---It's a 91 and sat for years unattended---paint was fried so he zebra'd it---Says after pics were taken he put a 1,5 lift with 225x75x15 tires, new brakes and cv joints----BUT---also says it has oil leak at bottom pan gasket and at valve cover gasket---Says he had a garage do compression test and it's at factory specs---It's a 5 speed with 2 speed transfer and manual locking hubs---He wants $2000 for it and says it runs perfectly---You guys got any opinions on this---Thanks

Happy

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
I would say that if $2K is what a used car is worth where you are, then it is worth it. He really didn't do any real upgrades that wouldn't be normal maintenance. The 1.5" lift sounds like just a set of spacers mounted on the top of the struts. The oil leaks seem to be typical, but on a Suzuki motor, these leaks show that the motor has overheated at least once if not many times. When the aluminum motor overheats, the cork gaskets harden and plastic front cover melts/warps a bit. Then you have leaks. The front cover is the tell-tale sign. Unfortunately a aluminum suzuki motor can't take the heat. You will need to deck the block and head and rebuild.

... and I would sincerely doubt that the motor compression would still be within 'factory specs' without a rebuild. Also check the #1 rod bearings. When a 1.6 overheats, that is the first part that shows wear/failure.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Depending on your location, that could be a good deal.
A couple of interesting things to be aware of:
1990 to 1995 - all were EFI (Fuel Injection) so not so rare.
If you get to see a pic under the hood, check which direction the air intake is pointing. If the intake hose goes to the passenger side, they just yanked the 1.3 motor and wedged the 1.6 in between the stock intake and exhaust systems (same thing I did on my white trail rig). That is a good, stable platform. If the air horn points over the motor to the drivers side then they used the 1.6 intake and EFI. It works when done right, but check the wiring harness to make sure it wasn't just cobbled together.
The RR YJ conversion is decent, and it will give you a great ride. Just check for a real 'high steer' system and don't settle for just a bent drag link... RRO sold tons of those, but they don't fix bump steer.
SPOA adds an additional 4.5" of lift so with the YJ kit you can fit at least 33" tires easily. I would dump the body lift though. Overkill. It already has enough lift without it. Safer if you just stick with suspension lift.

I have done all of these installs, so hit me with any Q's you may have.;)

Abovr you said, "all 90-95's were EFI---Did you mean all Samurai's?---Here's a pic of the engine---

http://images.craigslist.org/3mb3of3ldZZZZZZZZZ976fbe172bcdb2d14f8.jpg

http://images.craigslist.org/3n33p03l5ZZZZZZZZZ976926acb3e80e31a5c.jpg

This thing don't even look right---Too much lift---See if you can tell anything by looking at the engine---Thanks

Happy

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
Abovr you said, "all 90-95's were EFI---Did you mean all Samurai's?---Here's a pic of the engine---

http://images.craigslist.org/3mb3of3ldZZZZZZZZZ976fbe172bcdb2d14f8.jpg

http://images.craigslist.org/3n33p03l5ZZZZZZZZZ976926acb3e80e31a5c.jpg

This thing don't even look right---Too much lift---See if you can tell anything by looking at the engine---Thanks

Happy
Yup, I meant Samurais.
But... That's a fuel injected 1.6
The picture is fuzzy, but the writing on the air tunnel says electronic fuel injection.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts