Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey to everyone!!
I am in need of advice. My 2013 GV is my only car I need it to function but the last few days its been on the fritz. day one the key fob would not unlock the doors it acted like a dead battery the map lights wouldn't turn on ect but she started right up except the check engine light and traction control lights were on. The map lights had a delayed response also they turned on 20 seconds after the car started but were bright as usual.

after driving a bit everything went back to normal until 2 days ago. She got stuck in park when that happened the engine light and traction lights also came on. I did use the shift lock and proceeded to drive home. ok well back to normal after a few hours good to go was fine for a 1.5 days.

Today she got stuck in park again same lights came on only this time i have no inside lights no radio no blinkers no brake lights and then later ESP warning light came on. I did turn car off and hold traction off button for about 20 secs and restarted car which removed the warning but still have the other issues.

can someone shed some light on this for me as I am single mom with limited funds here. If anything just a place to start with trouble shooting.

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
12,724 Posts
This is a low voltage issue, either a dying battery or a poor main power and/or ground..

Reactions: 2013GV

·
Registered
12,476 Posts
Check the main body ground by the battery, and all connections for corrosion. Also check the main relay in the under bonnet fuse box

·
Registered
12,724 Posts
As an after thought, if this happens after letting the vehicle sit, have you considered a parasitic draw ?

Reactions: mamabear12

·
Registered
12,724 Posts
Have you undergone any of the diagnostic steps suggested, or just hoping it will fix itself..

Please advise, and list the results..

·
Registered
12,476 Posts
And? ..???

·
Registered
12,476 Posts
Start checking further in, it still sounds like a bad connection somewhere. Check grounds by internal fuse box, on steering column mounting under dash, and by bcm behind glove box.

Does this happen after hitting or driving over a bumpy road?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It does seem like a bad connection somewhere. I'm just wondering why last go round it seemed to resolve its self after sitting. This time it hasnt. Any chance its internally grounded? I forgot to mention I have also lost power to the obd port.

·
Registered
12,476 Posts
It does seem like a bad connection somewhere. I'm just wondering why last go round it seemed to resolve its self after sitting. This time it hasnt. Any chance its internally grounded? I forgot to mention I have also lost power to the obd port.
Now you tell us.....ok that makes a lot of sense.

Check both grounds Pin 4 or pin 5? Pin 4 is chassis ground, thats up by the steering column from memory or by the fuse box, theres 2 in that area, 10mm heads i think.

Pin 5 is signal ground, thats on its own different common earth that the signal circuit uses. I can't remember where that one references the chassis ground, whether its bcm or ecm, I think its from bcm in the 3rd gen, ill have to find the wiring diagram. Measure both pins to body, whichever one is open circuit is the issue, go chasing. If car plays up, jumper pin 4 to pin 5 and see if issue resolves, if it does, you definitely have a bad ground

Check pin 16 to ground, should have battery volts

If no volts,, start checking power supplies.

·
Registered
12,724 Posts
Losing power to the OBD port is a sure sign of faulty power supply, you need to start loading the circuits and test while under load...(use a test light, not a MM)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I want to thank everyone for all the help. I was able to locate my issue or at least part of it. The battery terminal fuse box. The 60 amp both box and connector melted a bit. I feel very fortunate to have found one at a near by salvage yard. I'm in the US seems parts are hard to find at least in my area. Anyway i replaced the box and connector. I never found an open circuit or lose ground though.
Automotive tire Hood Bumper Motor vehicle Wheel

·
Registered
12,724 Posts
The bad connection would be an open circuit or partial... electricity does not know the difference..

·
Registered
12,476 Posts
Worst case, you can bypass it and fit one of those big audio system inline fuses that come with 8 gauge wire.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Still trying to locate open circuit. At this point I'm at a total loss. Romex is looking good lol no seriously though my next step may have to be an auto electrician. I've been over and over this. Thanks all you have been amazing!!

·
Registered
12,724 Posts
You have Romex on you zuki ??

What is Romex wire?
What is Romex? What is 12/2 or 14/3 Electrical Cable? The electrical system in most homes and businesses is wired using sheathed, insulated wire. Romex ® is a brand name that is well-known for manufacturing this type of electrical wire.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts