Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wifes 55 plate jimny has lost it's front axle oil, was noted on MOT that it was leaking from steering knuckle and there was a little play in the front wheels. Please can anyone advise what parts I wil require to sort it out and also were in the UK I can buy these parts from.

Cheers.......

·
Registered
201 Posts
i only just had exactly the same problem fixed. many people will tell you the bearings are stuffed, and they may be. in my case, even professionals told me that, until they pulled it apart. turned out they were just loose but otherwise fine, and it was all the swivel housing seals or other parts in the area (not sure of exactly what all thats called sorry.)

i was lucky to get it done cheaper, but i was originally quoted over $1000 AUD, which, according to online converters, is around 550 GBP...

im no expert, and id be in but the leak from the steering knuckle sounds very familiar. interesting to see what the experts from this forum have to say

·
Registered
201 Posts
btw, only about a quarter of that is parts, about 70-80% of that cost is labour, because its an all day job. if you can do that yourself, you will save yourself a crapload of money, all you will need is a swivel housing kit. i see them on ebay, or you could try your local parts dealer.

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
The actual leak is an axle shaft seal that is pretty easy to replace. The problem is getting to it. You have to strip the whole knuckle down to the bare housing. While you are there you can also swap out the knuckle seals (rubber and felt) that probably got messed up from the oil coming through.
Another trick is to feel the 'ball' section to see if there are any ridges or rust spots. You can take som very fine grit and wet sand it to smooth it out. This keeps those outer seals in good shape.
Here is a shot of the axle shaft seal. It grips the axle shaft and keeps the oil in the housing.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
x2 on the axleshaft seal.

The oil seal from the Diff is a different type of seal than the grease seal on the steering knuckle. If the gear oil gets on the rubber seal for the knuckle, the knuckle seal gets spongy and falls apart.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
My wifes 55 plate jimny has lost it's front axle oil, was noted on MOT that it was leaking from steering knuckle and there was a little play in the front wheels. Please can anyone advise what parts I wil require to sort it out and also were in the UK I can buy these parts from.

Cheers.......
Martin Lines is the guy to talk to about Jimny stuff He is in the UK and you can find him here:

Home Page - BigJimny Website

You'll probably find all the information that you need here:

http://www.bigjimny.com/images/documents/Changing_the_KingPin_Bearings.pdf

·
Registered
201 Posts
x2 on the axleshaft seal.

The oil seal from the Diff is a different type of seal than the grease seal on the steering knuckle. If the gear oil gets on the rubber seal for the knuckle, the knuckle seal gets spongy and falls apart.
i think that is basically what happened to mine....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts