Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just acquired a 2003 tracker 4wd,2.0l,5spd,in need of some work.My first order of business is going to be sorting out the 4wd.I can engage the front axle by tapping on the actuator housing(inconvient to say the least),with a ratchet.I haven`t removed it as yet,but wondering if any thoughts on chances of quick fix due to an electrical problem..i would like to bypass the set up in favor of manual hubs and welding the actuator rings on diff(not zip tie method,but same result).Figured if I can fix actuator easily would like that route first..next up either main seal or oil pan replacement,clutch release bearing,rocker panels,etc,etc...Thankx

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thankx for the link,however I already read through all that and didn`t get the specifics I was looking for.basically wanted to know if actuator was servicable with the tapping helping it work?I didnt see anyone posting this condition/trick.As far as the pic with the hand pump and pressure gauge would like to look into that.Thirdly when welding the actuator rings(terminology likely wrong) why must it be removed entirely from housing?I assume if the gear set was exposed you could weld rotate/weld rotate to make the four welds necessary.

·
Super Moderator
19,087 Posts
By "actuator" are you refering to the pressure operated diaphragm and dog clutch INSIDE the differential? Or the pump / pressure switch and electrical mechanism outside of the diff?

If you are having to hammer on the diff housing to achieve engagement, then yeah, you've got an problem. :huh: But you also speak to the hand pump mod in lieu of the on board air compressor, so I'm a bit confused as to what you are asking.

IF it is a diff internal issue with regards to reluctant engagement, then the first thing I'd do is change the gear oil out for a good Synthetic, like Redline. ;) Also as you should have read already, long term NON-usage of 4WD can lead to sticking actuation, thus the recommendation to at least exercise engagement frequently, to help prevent the problem. I don't know if this is your operating scenario though.

Is the mechanism serviceable? Yes, with the correct tooling and talent needed to disassemble diff components, and then purchase whichever parts are found to be in need of replacement upon inspection.

Additionally I'd certainly verify that the air pump discharge pressure being (and maintaining) the approximate 6PSI needed spec for engagement. All of this info is in the 4WD thread.

Lastly, if you need more specifics as to welding the front diff engaged, I would suggest using the other forum referenced in the Sticky thread and ask the poster who accomplished same to elaborate on the procedure for you.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks again for responding.I'm referring to the actuator located behind the front bumper.I agree hitting a differential to make it work would indicate a proble.lol.I do know if I tap the actuator it does indeed engage the 4wd.I was hoping someone would be able to tell me how to trouble shoot the actuator itself.

·
Super Moderator
19,087 Posts
The Sticky's #2 post...

I'd suggest 1st determining if the actuator pump is actually working. You CAN hear it run momentarily when you shift to 4WD, with the key on (engine off) if you listen carefully, or have a 2nd person listen. It is located on a bracket bolted to the back side of the passenger side of the front bumper. If you hear nothing, then pull the power lead to the pump and check for 12V to it when you shift the lever. If no power to the pump, start running through fuses, wiring and the transfer case switch connections to see where the "open" circuit is before you put down hard earned $'s on a new pump.

You can access the pump by just crawling under the front passenger side. Pull the air lines, and the electrical connector, and remove two 14mm bolts. That's it...5 min at most. You don't even need to jack up the front end! Just be sure to get the air lines on the tight.
And that is followed by the "how to" for pump repairs. Testing for discharge pressure, etc. Your situation could be as simple as poor electrical connections!

I don't know what more any of us can do for you. :huh:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks max.Turns out one link I had overlooked contained some good relevant info.Find it hard to stare at a screen for too long,as well as I`m a longtime member on a motorcycle forum which has a real family atmosphere as we`ve most all met in person and usually throw out a question and someone responds..lol..Looking forward to more research.Thanks again!

·
Super Moderator
19,087 Posts
I had overlooked contained some good relevant info
Cool! There IS a lot there to digest. ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts