Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my first Samurai yesterday. stock '87.
Looking forward to making it a fun rig.
Got a great deal on it because it wouldn't pass CA smog, but it passed fine in March of this year.
It has a slight miss when running and doesn't want to idle real good. I'm thinking something simple like vaccum hose broke, or???
Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
The 87 Samurai has a computer controlled carburetor that is obsolete and very difficult to properly repair. The computer controls the starting idle enrichment and the main jet when it is fully warmed up and operating. When it goes south it can present all sorts of issues. I would try running a bit of SeaFoam through the fuel and see if that frees the valve in the carburetor so the computer can control it consistently. That may or may not fix the problem.
The only source of fully reliable rebuilt carburetors is Petroworks Off Road Products. A few carburetor shops can rebuild these, but they are few and far between because of the complexity of the hybrid carburetors they used.
In the mean time make sure it is fully warmed and has been driven a few miles before attempting to pass a smog test.
I have owned two of these and loved them because they will out climb and way out fuel economy a Jeep.
As for checking the vacuum hoses, fuel hoses, timing belt, timing, and the usual tune-up requirements they should all be done before you attempt to diagnose carburetor problems. Given the age of these rigs, I would expect all the rubber type components are due for replacement anyway.
Pick up a service manual from the likes of Haynes and it has a table of diagnostic steps and symptoms common on these little rigs. The factory service manual is only good for TP when camping if you waste the effort to print it out!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts