Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just installed new valve cover gasket from low range with a very small amount of high temp red rtv on both sides of gasket. Originally under torqued but after proper torque (3.0 ft lbs) still leaked oil like crazy after about 1-2 miles drive. Could valve cover be warped? Is using rtv reccommended or not? If I try again do I need to buy a new gasket? Leaking all around valve cover. Suface was clean and extra cleaned on engine block before install.

·
Super Moderator
12,427 Posts
What engine are we discussing here? Assuming a 1.3, do you have the cast alloy or the pressed steel valve cover? It's theoretically possible that the pressed steel one can become distorted.

I suggest trying again with a new gasket and no sealant.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes 1.3 88 samurai sorry did not specify. Not sure which cover I have. I'm trying again today, the gasket was in many pieces when I took off the cover it only had 15 miles in it tops and just destroyed. I have heard of the aluminum geo metro cover is that a good replacement? Do those warp too or can scoop one from the junkyard? I have a parts samurai but it looks like there was the same leak from the valve cover so I'm worried that's ones toast as well.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It seems the leak is fixed. The gasket from napa fit way more snug than the other I tried before. No rtv used. 3 ftlb torque

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just had this problem with my 86 samurai. I had gotten a cork gasket and used a little gray silicone sealant and it was still leaking from the back, which I thought was probably my distributor housing o-ring, so I took that off (couldn't get an o-ring same day, so just used red sealant, worked GREAT), put it back on and still leaking from what appeared to be coming from the valve cover in the back still and some other spots seeping around it. I went the next day to the U pull it salvage yard and found a geo metro and pulled the cover from it which had the rubber gasket with it. I rubbed some used oil on the gasket, placed the new cover on, making sure to not over tighten and there is now not a leak anywhere. The geo metro valve cover and gasket upgrade was worth the $12 and drive into town and I highly recommend getting one!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
With the stock valve cover, overtightening the bolts will spread the cover. I drilled holes low on the sides of the cover and used 1/4-20 screws, lock nuts and washers inside (silicone to seal the wounds) and it keeps the cover from spreading. Now, no leaks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts