Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys new to the group and I just picked up a 2002 Chevy tracker with 82,538km and she's mint! Just wondering what's the main things to watch for . Also been thinking about making it a little trail rider doing a lift and what not to it! Looking forward to hearing from you guys and getting your I put!

Cheers!馃嵒馃嵒

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The more I do some research the more I'm finding that out. I don't wanna go to crazy it's still my daily driver. I already hit a small trail and a mud trail it did good for stock I just want a little more height and some better bigger tires haha.

It's a 2.0 4 cyl LT trim

I'm located in Oakville. Where abouts you from

Administrator
There is not a ton you can do with these trackers.
I'm going to disagree with that, you can do anything you want with these vehicles, provided you have the skills to do it, or deep enough pockets to pay someone else to do it. There's not a whole lot of stuff available as a "bolt-on", but that doesn't mean that it's not out there, or it can't be done. You're the one to decide what you want - you want a straight axle swap? It's been done. Too extreme? You want a three inch lift instead? It's been done. Two inch lift? It's been done. Lockers front & rear? It's been done. Lower gears in the axles? It's been done. More reduction in the transfer case? It's been done.

For a mild lift and larger tires, I would suggest Old Man Emu springs, shocks & struts, and perhaps 235/75R15 tires - for what it's worth, I run a Suzuki Grand Vitara with the same 2.0 engine, the same OME suspension that I'm suggesting, and 235/70R16 tires, a tiny bit larger than the 235/75R15s I've suggested.

The weak spot on these vehicles is the front axle, it's an aluminum alloy housing which is fairly easy to break, cast iron ones are available, if you know what to look for (01~03 XL-7s with manual transmissions), there's also a pneumatic freewheel mechanism in the front axle that can be problematic.

Registered
The more I do some research the more I'm finding that out. I don't wanna go to crazy it's still my daily driver. I already hit a small trail and a mud trail it did good for stock I just want a little more height and some better bigger tires haha.

It's a 2.0 4 cyl LT trim

I'm located in Oakville. Where abouts you from
I'm in Mississauga, we had a very rare dark green 6 cyl LT trim. In the time we owned it we only ever saw 1 like it in the GTA. I sold it last June and got a 2011 Grand Vitara. The tracker still had no rust on it when I sold it certified. (had to repair brake lines to cert)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm in Mississauga, we had a very rare dark green 6 cyl LT trim. In the time we owned it we only ever saw 1 like it in the GTA. I sold it last June and got a 2011 Grand Vitara. The tracker still had no rust on it when I sold it certified. (had to repair brake lines to cert)
No way that's awesome! Mines that beige colour with the silver bottom trim! You ahvw anything done to the grand?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm going to disagree with that, you can do anything you want with these vehicles, provided your have the skills to do it, or deep enough pockets to pay someone else to do it. There's not a whole lot of stuff available as a "bolt-on", but that doesn't mean that it's not out there, or it can't be done. You're the one to decide what you want - you want a straight axle swap? It's been done. Too extreme? You want a three inch lift instead? It's been done. Two inch lift? It's been done. Lockers front & rear? It's been done. Lower gears in the axles? It's been done. More reduction in the transfer case? It's been done.

For a mild lift and larger tires, I would suggest Old Man Emu springs, shocks & struts, and perhaps 235/75R15 tires - for what it's worth, I run a Suzuki Grand Vitara with the same 2.0 engine, the same OME suspension that I'm suggesting, and 235/70R16 tires, a tiny bit larger than the 235/75R15s I've suggested.

The weak spot on these vehicles is the front axle, it's an aluminum alloy housing which is fairly easy to break, cast iron ones are available, if you know what to look for (01~03 XL-7s with manual transmissions), there's also a pneumatic freewheel mechanism in the front axle that can be problematic.
That's great I'd have to look into it. Alot of people were dating doing the spacer on the coils is good to. I saw that you need camber adjusters to make it work properly. Iv be doing some looking around for the old man, they don't have to for the tracker but id assume the grand Vitara is the same as the tracker?

Administrator
That's great I'd have to look into it. Alot of people were dating doing the spacer on the coils is good to. I saw that you need camber adjusters to make it work properly. Iv be doing some looking around for the old man, they don't have to for the tracker but id assume the grand Vitara is the same as the tracker?
The Tracker is more of a match with the Vitara than the Grand Vitara, but suspension wise they are all the same vehicle.

Personally, I don't care for coil spacer lifts, I'd rather spend the extra and replace the coils - ride quality is perhaps more important to me than ride height, and I've been very happy with my OME, I've had it for roughly ten years or so. Camber is not adjustable from the factory, but after market camber bolts are available should adjustment be necessary, and they're not expensive, they should not be required if you're using the OME (my car is within spec without them), but I believe you'll need them if you go to a two inch spacer lift.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The Tracker is more of a match with the Vitara than the Grand Vitara, but suspension wise they are all the same vehicle.

Personally, I don't care for coil spacer lifts, I'd rather spend the extra and replace the coils - ride quality is perhaps more important to me than ride height, and I've been very happy with my OME, I've had it for roughly ten years or so. Camber is not adjustable from the factory, but after market camber bolts are available should adjustment be necessary, and they're not expensive, they should not be required if you're using the OME (my car is within spec without them), but I believe you'll need them if you go to a two inch spacer lift.
Yeah I dont wanna go down the coil spacer root. I'm trying to go more towards the lift kits to get more lift out. It is hard to find lift kits for these at least in Canada. I did some looking the OME roughly lifts it 1.5 inch they are saying

Administrator
Unfortunately, I think the OME struts for these vehicles are no longer available - in response to a direct inquiry Old Man Emu's response was they are on "back order" with no eta.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts