Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello everyone, i just purchased a 1987 samurai that is in need of some work. i am quite surprised at how much cheaper it is to work on these. i have also a '01 jeep cherokee xj, and a '91 chevy suburban, both lifted, so this isn't the first rodeo.
i pulled the t-case and found that it is stuck in neutral, searched the forum and discovered the sheet info. checked the item and found it to be intact. not sure what could be the problem if not the sheet:confused:. anyone know the t-case model or where i can get info on tearing it apart??? any ideas on where to get a full t-case rebuild kit??

any help would be greatly appreciated....
c.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
thanks denice25, i'll check it out...

·
Registered
74 Posts
My stock "sheet" was intact too, and the t-case would still get stuck. I'd guess you don't need a rebuild, just get a new better "sheet". I can't believe how much better the t-case shifting is now!

Same for the transmission... I replaced that "sheet" a week ago and the transmission selects like it is new, not like the mush it felt like before.

Phil

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
Another couple of things to look at are the locating pin (bolt going through the housing neck) and wear on the ball of the shifter. A new shifter sheet will solve most of the lockup problems, but remember that these are 20 year old trucks... everything wears down.
You can check out some of the more established zook companies for good prices of quality parts - along with lots of knowledge in phone support. Ebay is handy, but you never know what knock-offs you are getting.

Try:
PetroWorks
Welcome to the Trail Tough Products
Welcome to Low Range Off-Road, your off-road parts and accessories source for your Suzuki, Toyota, and Jeep

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
:Dthanks guys for the useful info. i went to petroworks and got the t-case sheet and trans sheet together. might as well since this will become a daily driver.
the bolt on the trans shifter, where would i look for that?

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
:Dthanks guys for the useful info. i went to petroworks and got the t-case sheet and trans sheet together. might as well since this will become a daily driver.
the bolt on the trans shifter, where would i look for that?
Sorry, got them confused... bolt is in the tranny neck, not the t-case neck.

If you need one for the tranny, Petro has them in stock.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Sorry, got them confused... bolt is in the tranny neck, not the t-case neck.

If you need one for the tranny, Petro has them in stock.
Get the bolt.... at the least yours is well-worn. Mine was broken as are many. It's another couple of bucks but since you have to remove it to change the tranny sheet, why put the old one back in?

Phil

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i ordered both sheets and the bolt and they should be here in a couple days. i'm trying to go thru the vehicle and replace as much of the worn out parts as possible.
the sami came with a new rhino pac clutch kit install. anyone heard of this company, good/bad? i figured since i already have the tcase out and the clutch kit handy i'd go ahead and change that out too. previouse owner had a homemade snow plow on the front so i'm thinking the clutch plate/flywheel probably took a beating.:(

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so i recently replaced the clutch, t-case sheet, trans sheet and bolt. got the sammi on the road just to find it smoking badly after sitting for a few minutes. it was severely underpowered as well. figured on a blown head gasket, so made the call to petroworks and got the stuff on the way.

upon getting down to the head i noticed that the timing marks on the crankshaft are in the correct place but the marks on the cam pulley was 180* out(facing toward the bottom). when i put the timing mark up to the top the rotor on the dist. is pointing at the lowest plug(#3?) could that make the engine run very poorly and end up destroying the head gasket between the middle two cylinders??

1 - 9 of 9 Posts