Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I just ended up with an 86 Sammy, to go with the 86 beater I already have.

Long story short: One is a beater, the other is all original, original paint, no dents, 114K miles, excellent condition, working A/C, carb is trash. When I say trash, I mean someone tried to do a rebuild already and screwed it up. Stripped idle screw, contorted linkages, etc. I put the vacuum lines back to where they were supposed to be and it helped some, but, no way I'll ever get a good idle, or, mid-range as is. It runs smooth as silk wide open and under load. The beater has a good, rebuildable carb, but the rest of it is trashed - no top, no windshield, dented up, no lights, no gauges, smokes, blow by, leaks, you get the picture. It's never going to see the highway. We use it around the ranch and it works better than any quad for what we need.

If, I steal the carb off the beater, my "quad" is useless, until i find another carb that works. I'm thinking about going the Weber 32/36 conversion for the "new" one, with a header and new exhaust, and leave my beater as is. I have no idea if all the "bells and whistles" on the emissions systems are still functioning on the "new" Sammy and really wont be able to track them down, without a carb that works. I'm thinking the Weber would be the fast track to getting this Suzuki road ready. I'm in a no smog test zone, so there's another thing to consider in this case. I know the Weber has no mixture compensation for altitude, but, I don't plan on getting more than 25 miles from home in it and the "beater" will do the off roading.

Experience and opinions would be appreciated. I like the Weber conversions because they are simple and I can use the stock air cleaner. It needs a new exhaust, so, why not a header, too. I live at 5200' elevation, so, information on Weber jet sizes would appreciated, too.

Thanks

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Almost finished

I didn't get any replies from my post on here, so, just decided to go ahead and get er done.
I went with the Weber conversion and couldn't be happier. For me, it worked right out of the box. I also went with the Pacesetter (cheap) header and welded up a 2" system exiting behind the rear tire, in the stock location. New front wheel bearings and seals had to go in, as somebody let them get loose and spin. The springs were no longer sprung, so, I got a set of OME Dakkar, from LowRange Off Road. The lift from the OME springs is only 1.25 ~ 1.5 inch, but, my old ones were down so far it came up about 3". The tires on it where new, so, I can't see replacing them just now. Some new window rubber, regulators, aluminum door handles, soft top, stereo and it's almost like having a real car now. I had some Toyota mustard yellow, PPG Delstar acrylic enamel, left from my FJ 40 project of 7 years ago (still good), so, that's what color it ended up. With the purchase price and all the odds and ends figured in, I'm into it about $3000 total. Not bad for something that I'm using as a daily driver.

DSCF0519.JPG

Sammy and his big brother, 1971 FJ 40. I picked up another transfer case and transmission to rebuild that will go in sometime next year. Still trying to decide what to do with the seats. re-do, or go for some of those Ebay specials for $269.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Looks good :) For seats I would look around the car breakers for something more comfortable.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thats a sweet ride. what kind of mileage are you getting with the weber?
Thanks. It seems to be in the mid 20s. Probably would be better, if I would keep my foot out of it and more of the miles were on open roads. It just sounds sooooo good with the header on that it's hard to keep it quiet.:p

1 - 6 of 6 Posts