Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I have been given a 2001 Tracker; 2.0, 4WD, automatic; 2 door with new soft top from a friend of mine who did not want to deal with it anymore.
The motor blew the timing chain and bent some valves, etc, etc. I have found a replacement motor for it with 80K on it. Is there anything you recommend I replace while it is on the bench before installing it in the vehicle? Should I replace the timing chain, tensioners, guides, etc while it is out of the car? I assume this would be much easier on an engine stand/bench than after installation.
Any advice/suggestions are appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
18,191 Posts
It really depends on the condition of the new engine. If properly maintained, the timing chain components are "lifetime".

Any maintenance history in support? Have you heard it run?

If it sounds good and by peeking in the oil fill cap hole head area it is spotless, then I'd run with it intact.

Just replace all of the belts and accessible coolant related hoses, new fluids and you should be OK.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Max. I do not have any history on the maintenance of the replacement engine. Purchasing from a local junkyard here in Michigan with a good reputation. My buddy and I will check it out as best as we can before hand though.
Thanks for the suggestions

1 - 4 of 4 Posts